WNDR3700v3 Supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
jeffme
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Minor edits & notes for n00bs:

* Contrary to what you may read elsewhere, you do *not* need to use tftp for WNDR 3700 setup. Don't pay attention to any of the TTL=100, etc. concerns.
* The WNDR3700v3 ships with different types of firmware/UI, either the Smart Wizard or Genie. These upgrade instructions work with either version.

READ MODS TO WSCHALLE's INSTRUCTIONS BELOW
wschalle wrote:
makaluch wrote:
So is the WNDR3700v3 officially supported yet?

Do we have a good flash method outlined for this?

Current build and its issues?

Someone with experience should start a thread just for this v3 Broadcom-based WNDR3700. Then again, there just might be nothing to say if it's still in alpha or shelved as a whenever-i-get-to-it project only. I'll go try to break mine, just for fun Smile

To get dd-wrt on the WNDR3700v3, do this:

Step 1: Factory reset

Step 2: firmware upgrade using this:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3700v3.chk

NOTE: You can do this firmware upgrade from the Netgear upgrade page on the Web GUI. On the SmartWizard UI, this can be found at the "Router Upgrade" link in the left-nav, under "Maintenance." On the Genie UI, click the "Advanced Tab", then "Administration" in the left-nav, and then click on "Router Update."

Step 2.5: let the web GUI tell you it's rebooting the router. It'll sit there for a while, with a countdown bar, etc. Just let it roll. When it's been done for a little while, go to the next step.

Step 3: 30/30/30 reset

Step 4: flash this:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k.bin

NOTE: You can do this from the DD-WRT web GUI at http://192.168.1.1 - it will ask you to update the password first.

Then, go to the Administration->Firmware Upgrade tab
Leave "After flashing, reset to" as "Don't reset" - you shouldn't need to, as you've already done a factory reset in step 1... right?

Step 4.5: You'll watch the WebGUI tell you the router's upgrading. Wait until you see the "Upgrade successful" message. It'll also tell you that the unit is rebooting and that you should wait a moment. Do wait, and another message about "Please check..." will be displayed in your browser, along with a "Continue" button. Click continue. Then, when you see the new UI, do the 30/30/30 reset.

Step 5: 30/30/30 reset

At this point, either you followed the directions properly and your router is good to go, or you have a nice paperweight.

CAVEAT: This is the kernel 2.6 version which has a bug in the net code preventing any of the optware media servers from working... Really annoying, as they downright refuse to fix it. Supposedly you can rip minidlna from Kong's build and it will work, but I haven't tried it and I probably won't.
Sponsor
dfgas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00    Post subject: wndr3700v3 Reply with quote
is there going to be a working megabuild? Why is this not on the fully sorted database of dd-wrt?

also any tweaks that you guys are using? Like the power to the wireless antenna?

What settings are you guys using for wireless and tweaks, like i set mine up as on first wireless network a mix, wpa2 with aes and the second one is n5ghz wpa2 with aes and I am not hitting the speeds i used to on stock firmware.

I also seem to have a drop out issue someone and i think it is in the wireless because i could even connect to the dd-wrt gui but my computer that is connected to the lan just kept on download.
dfgas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 16:18    Post subject: minidlna Reply with quote
how would we go about extracting the minidlna from kong's build?
mrsilly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, new user to DD-Wrt and have a v3. Has anyone tried the iphone tether? If so is there any special trick to getting it working (or some basic instructions)?

Thanks.
eggcracker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:40    Post subject: Works for me, but with a few minor tweaks to the steps Reply with quote
The 30/30/30 resets seem to have worked for me, except each time I had to do one more power off/on cycle at the end _without_ the reset button depressed. Otherwise I could not get the web gui to show up. But once I did a normal power cycle the web gui came up fine.
The other detail that some may find useful is that I could not get the second update to the 'big-nv64k' image to work when using Firefox (version 17 running on WindowsXP-SP3). I had to use Microsoft Internet Explorer. With Firefox I'd get an error message about page failed to load right after I hit the 'upgrade' button and the count-down timer had counted for less than 2 seconds. Once I switched to using Internet Explorer the process worked as advertised and now the router is running dd-wrt.
I have things mostly configured the way I want them and the router seems to be working OK, but it may be too soon to claim success. Looking good so far though!
Thanks for all the work people have put into this project and the helpful hints and info everyone has posted. I hope the info I added helps someone, too.
rog1121
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22    Post subject: QoS Reply with quote
Has anyone tried using QoS on the mini based build. Every time I enable QoS it crashes my router after about an hour and I have to reset it.

I feel like I'm the only one with this problem becuase I can't find any QoS related problems with DD-WRT

I'm not sure that the big build that you flash on top of the mini will fix it because it just ads features and bases off of the mini build.

I switched back to the mega build from myopenrouter and realize that the QoS on this build doesen't even work.
dfgas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
how do we flash back to stock?
dfgas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19    Post subject: Re: QoS Reply with quote
rog1121 wrote:
Has anyone tried using QoS on the mini based build. Every time I enable QoS it crashes my router after about an hour and I have to reset it.

I feel like I'm the only one with this problem becuase I can't find any QoS related problems with DD-WRT

I'm not sure that the big build that you flash on top of the mini will fix it because it just ads features and bases off of the mini build.

I switched back to the mega build from myopenrouter and realize that the QoS on this build doesen't even work.

I have had the same issue too. I am now looking to go back to stock
Endymion_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 16:31    Post subject: Re: QoS Reply with quote
rog1121 wrote:

I do not know what the deal is, but something is definitely fishy with QoS. Not the same router in my experience, I know, but turning off QoS was the only thing that could stop my WNR3500U/L from spontaneously rebooting. I had thought that perhaps the specs of my router might have something to do with this and that the WNDR3700, with its better CPU, would not see this issue. But then, sometimes it would reboot with no direct activity from my network devices, it would just up and decide it was time for a reboot.
eggcracker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:10    Post subject: Thought all was well, but for now have reverted to stock FW Reply with quote
I thought things were going well until I tried to actually hook the WNDR3700v3 to my cable modem and replace my old router. I found that no matter what I tried, I could not get the router to acquire an IP address from my ISP. I tried all of the suggestions about powering down and disconnecting things for 10 minutes, etc., etc., including all of the recommendations in the Peacock thread, but still no luck. I then reinstalled my previous router and tried connecting the WAN port of the WNDR3700v3 to a LAN port of my previous router (after setting the WNDR3700v3's base IP to 192.168.1.2 and turning off the DHCP server), but it still could not acquire an IP address from my previous router's DHCP server. This was the case even after I did the 30/30/30 reset to revert to all default settings, except then I had to re-do the 192.168.1.2 IP and shut off the DHCP server, but still no WAN IP address. I finally gave up and reverted to stock firmware for now. To do that I tried several methods that I found in other posts for the WNDR3700v3, but the only method that worked for me was to telnet in and issue this command:
mtd erase linux
This will intentionally corrupt the firmware image and prevent the router from booting all the way into DD-WRT. It causes the CFE to stay in its bootloader mode looking for a tftp image to reprogram the flash with. Then I used the tftp2 utility and the stock firmware image I had downloaded from Netgear's support site to send the image to the router. Even that took a couple more attempts to get the router communicating with my laptop (of course, set to a static IP) and the image successfully transfered and reprogrammed into the flash chip. But it did eventually work and I'm back up and running with stock firmware, and it was successful in acquiring an IP via DHCP when connected to my cable modem, so it was not a hardware problem as I was afraid it might be. Again, I hope this helps at least a few people.
As time allows, I'm planning to look at the source code I downloaded along with the DD-WRT firmware image and see what changes had been made for this image. And I may give it a shot to build my own image if I can get through the build steps successfully. If I have any luck with that, I'll let you know!
dfgas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
i did the same but instead of using tftp i used the firmware recovery on the original cd that came with the router.

Instructions to return to stock:
make sure you manually set an ip address for your wired computer
telnet 192.168.1.1 (or address of your router)
mtd erase linux
reboot
then put in the cd that came with the router and run firmware recovery.

The person that originally posted this on a different site said that it did say failed a couple of times but then it worked. For me it worked the first time. You could use tftp to do it as well but I am not sure how to use tftp.
mattzees
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got my WNDR3700 v3 working fine with the instructions given, and it is now running Build 19342 (Big nv64).

My question is how do I upgrade to Build 19519? I like that build and know it is stable on my other hardware.

When I attempt to upgrade to the appropriately named file, in the 19519 folder, the upgrade fails.

Also, what does the "nv64k" mean?
frankl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:33    Post subject: wndr3700v3 Reply with quote
does anyone know if there is a stable build or is it beta version.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
They are all betas.
Dave1234
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 16:11    Post subject: optware on 3700 V3 Reply with quote
Does anyone have a link to a proven build that will work on the 3700 with optware?

Thanks
Dave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: