[Partially Solved] WRT54GSV4 and WRT350N Linking routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
emunity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 22:43    Post subject: [Partially Solved] WRT54GSV4 and WRT350N Linking routers Reply with quote
WRT54GSV4: Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c

WRT350N v1 Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) mega r15962 was having some wireless bandwidth issues with the xbox and Viore LCD TV with USB dongle wireless adapter with r14929

For now I have the WRT54GSV4 connected to the Cable modem and the WRT350N upstairs ethernet connection from its port 1 to port 4 on the WRT54GSV4 Port 4 because the others were being used.

I seem to have it working ok for now. Is there anything I need to do other than disable the DHCP server on the WRT350N and using the same wireless SSID password?

I googled search this it said to also use the same WPA Shared Key and SSID but it seems to work just fine using its own SSID name.

On the WRT350N I left the WAN Connection Type as default automatic configuration DHCP just disabled the DHCP Server and disabled SPI Firewall.

I just need to expand my wireless coverage and not sure if I am confusing things by asking if I need to do anything with the "Client/Bridge/Repeater setup" or not? If so what?

Is there any other configuration I need to change on either router?

Thanks

EDITED 1-5-12

I found the wiki on this but still have questions.:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

I now know that linking the routers that best fits my situation is Wireless Access Point.

From this Wiki there are many things I did not do yet its working no different with the Wiki how to versus what changes I made which were only a few things mentioned above,

I will follow the wiki but still have questions on a couple of things.

I asked this already above the WAN connection type I left as default automatic configuration DHCP but wiki sais to disable it. It works either way but I will disable it.

When disabled the "Assign WAN Port to Switch" is now visible. I tried using this feature but without any improvement in signal or overall performance? I am using the router as wireless only connections for the wireless adapters upstairs to improve signal since the one downstairs is weak for the rooms upstairs. There are no hardware connections other than port 1 hard wired to port 4 on the router connected to the modem. If I enable this I can move the ethernet cable into the WAN port? I tried this and when I did I was unable to login at all into the router.

I think I will not enable this unless someone can give me a reason/scenario as to why I would need this in my current setup.

The other question I have is about "Gateway/Local DNS: IP address of primary router (many things will fail without this)" I found the router gateway and the the local DNS which is suppose to be the routers IP address correct? The one connected to the modem? 192.168.1.1. The gateway address was some totally different IP address, 98.206.104.1.

Everything works fine with these values left as 0's so how will I benefit or not benefit from this?

FInally what is the purpose of the option below?

Open the Administration -> Management tab
(Recommended) Info Site Password Protection: Enable

Thanks
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: