Nighthawk X10 R9000- Dead 2.4ghz radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
zainer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 15:30    Post subject: Nighthawk X10 R9000- Dead 2.4ghz radio Reply with quote
Greetings!

I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and straight out of the box the 2.4GHz band would not function at all and the 5GHz band would turn on and off about every minute or so. The 60GHz band would work just fine. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Netgear on it however we were unsuccessful at getting it working. We tried different firmware versions, settings, resets etc. They recommended that I returned the router where I purchased it from and get another new one. I made the purchase at Amazon and utilized their customer support service to troubleshoot the issues - long story short, they refunded me for the product and told me to keep it.

So now, I'm somewhat determined to get this thing working. I ended up installing DD-WRT Firmware and update to it at the link below:
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/?model=R9000_v1

This got the 5GHz band working just fine! Yay!

I am curious though why the software does not even pick up the 2.4GHz hardware as it is not showing up in the GUI. In fact, the WiFi AD is actually showing up as 5GHz too.

Do you think they I just got a router with bad hardware or is there maybe just something software related going on with this unit?

Thanks!
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like hardware
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like someone swapped out their bad hardware and sent back amazon the unit and Amazon sold it as new again.

I had this very exact issue happen to me on a projector I bought that was clearly opened and used before even though it was marked as new.

You should take a peek at my signature for the optimal settings for this router.

if after making those changes you still can't see the radios, then it's likely that you have a legitimate hardware failure in the wireless radios. This appears to be a ever-present more common issue on the r9000...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
funny, it seems like i repeat myself on different threads, on almost the same subject.... R9000

so, to repeat again... Embarassed
many of those R9000 are well known, with faulty radio's
it seems there is, a bad batch and, a good one, as there are some solid units...but for those who has it and have opened it, they know its more likely a bad design....

Long story short...if unit has faulty radio's your, best bet is running another router DDWRT supported, as a WAP, connected to one of its LAN ports...

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Wed Oct 28, 2020 19:48; edited 2 times in total
zainer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
TY Sir for the snarky reply, as if I hadn't already read the multiple threads here and elsewhere on the possibility of bad hardware.

That aside, Thanks for the recommendation msoengineer and foz.

I was hoping maybe there was a setting or something that might bring it back but...I'll just toss it in the trash.

Thanks!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
nope dont do that, R9000 is a solid unit and with another cheap ddwrt supported unit, that you will use its radio only, it will be great to use it again... :p

there will be probably a lot of forum members in USA or wherever you are based on, that will enjoy it, instead of you to trash it in the bin... Rolling Eyes

you could even sell it, as a faulty to a forum member for example, if so...im sure someone will be interested if you will not use it, as i mentioned above...
I sold my R9000 (faulty) to a friend he got Archer c7 v2 to use it as a WAP, plugged into R9000 its a great combination that works solid...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: