Wired client can´t ping other wired clients in network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
hambert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 19:58    Post subject: Wired client can´t ping other wired clients in network Reply with quote
Hello people.

Since the last couple builds, i´m having this problem where I can´t ping another wired devices on the network. I can access the internet (web) and the gateway but not any other clients on the network (printers, other PCs, other routers) that are connected via wire. My current wired setup is:

Internet
|
|
WR841 (Gateway) --- Other routers in router mode and clients (wired and wireless)
|
|
PC With the problem

Main points:

-I tried reinstalling windows and resetting the firmware on the gateway to defaults. No luck.
-All the other computers and clients seem to work just fine, they can see each other no problem, I can print and send files.
-The PC with the problem is connected directly to the gateway. All other clients are behind another routers and connected to the gateway, via WPS in one router and a wired link in another one.

Key point:

-If I use a phone to connect to the Gateway´s AP, I can ping the PC with the problem.
-If I use a phone to connect to the other router`s AP, wich is connected to the gateway wirelessly, I can ping the PC with the problem.
-If I use a phone to connect to the third router´s AP, wich is connected to the gateway via a LAN cable, I CANNOT ping the PC.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
If they are all cheap TP-Stinks that are similar to the 841, then there are startup commands required to resolve the isolation issue. Not a new topic, and I do not have the thread links or notes handy, but you can search my posts...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:37    Post subject: Re: Wired client can´t ping other wired clients in network Reply with quote
hambert wrote:
Hello people.

Since the last couple builds, i´m having this problem where I can´t ping another wired devices on the network. I can access the internet (web) and the gateway but not any other clients on the network (printers, other PCs, other routers) that are connected via wire.

Thanks in advance!

You may still need VLAN config for the internal 4 port switch on the latest builds:

On some TP-Link 4 port LAN devices the LAN <-> LAN port communication does not work out of the box (destination unreachable), only LAN and WLAN -> WAN (internet) is working.

known working fix for TP-Link (WR84x and WR94x models):
-> goto Administration - Commands, enter/copy the 3 following commands into the Commands box:

swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

Select "Save Startup" button and reboot device.
hambert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 13:00    Post subject: Re: Wired client can´t ping other wired clients in network Reply with quote
servicetech wrote:

You may still need VLAN config for the internal 4 port switch on the latest builds:

On some TP-Link 4 port LAN devices the LAN <-> LAN port communication does not work out of the box (destination unreachable), only LAN and WLAN -> WAN (internet) is working.

known working fix for TP-Link (WR84x and WR94x models):
-> goto Administration - Commands, enter/copy the 3 following commands into the Commands box:

swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

Select "Save Startup" button and reboot device.

Indeed this solved the problem. Thank you so, so much!

I did use this fix more than a year ago in ancient builds, thought it was fixed as I didn´t need it for a while until now. Before posting this I tried the old version of the commands and it didn´t work, it was 2 instead of 3 lines (the reset one wasn´t there before, or perhaps the sintax changed).

Thank you again!! I really appreciate the work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: