what heatsink and fan for wrt54g v3 and tm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
fooman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:43    Post subject: what heatsink and fan for wrt54g v3 and tm Reply with quote
I want to install a heatstink and a fan either inside or outside the box. I seen some mods on searches with small 80mm fans which are noisy normally on a PC, and wondering if installing a 120mm is overkill for less noise. I like the cooling mods members done with their e1000, e2k, e3, and linksys similar new models because of overheating. I know a 120mm is not going to cool as well as a 80mm due to the rpm speeds, and wanted to seek dd-wrt forum members expert opinions Razz

Also I want to know what heatsink is compatible with the dd-wrt routers. I have a v3 and a tmobile tm version. I already have some thermal grease and a bunch of fans ready to play with but lack a heatsink. Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thanks
Sponsor
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
try socket 7 / pentium MMX heatsinks. i used it some month.
TL-WR841ND @ BS-build 23919 Client Bridge ( Routed )
fooman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks good thing i have some laying around in the basement i can recycle, how much was your overclock set now? what was your max before the router starts to act up? did you try to install a fan or was the heatsink not hot enough for a fan?
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey. i pushed my unit up to 262 MHZ cause of 50.000 kbit internet speed. i got round 40.000 kbit with 262 mhz. i used a self made CFE for wrt54gl which allowed higher frequencies. Maximum was 275 mhz, but that was too much Very Happy

http://bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/WRT54G_overclocking/

as i told u, i used a pentium mmx heatsink.
( http://www.kugeldreieck.de/img/hardware00/pentium_mmx_m_cooler_1.jpg )
i cut off the wrt54g´s top plastics and on the top of the heatsink was a small fan. those, which were used in pentium mmx times. it was powered with 5V. There was a small Server-Pc next to the router, so power supply was no problem. With some soldering knowledge you may acquire 5V from routers PCB.

In earlier times, heatsinks were only glued on the CPU. The was some rest of glue under my heatsink, so it fits strong on my Broadcom SoC.

TL-WR841ND @ BS-build 23919 Client Bridge ( Routed )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: