Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 18:22 Post subject: Successful recovery of a semi-bricked WRT310N v2
Yesterday, I revived a semi-bricked WRT310N v2 that was stuck in management mode after a failed attempt to install DD-WRT. I didn't find anyone else that had posted the procedure that I ended up using, so I'm posting it in hopes that it can help someone else.
On this router, management mode would not accept ANY firmware, including the Linksys stock one, from ANY browser (and I tried several browsers on several OSes, including IE8 on XP). Using tftp and quick timing, I could get it to accept a firmware, but it would always go back to management mode whether simply power cycled or 30-30-30 reset.
Forum posts implied that a serial connection was my only hope. Then I noticed that the management mode links for reboot and nvram erase looked like the do.htm page was sending command line instructions. Putting "ping 192.168.1.23" after the "cmd=" resulted in the router sending a ping packet to my laptop. (I was watching with Wireshark.) So I decided to try the serial console commands. Using the recommended "flash -ctheader : flash1.trx" command, the router would start the tftp connection, but Wireshark showed the "code pattern incorrect" error. Then I tried the "-noheader" variant just to see. This resulted in the router accepting most any firmware file via tftp. I sent everything from stock, to DD-WRT to tomato. However, it always then returned to management mode.
After quite a bit more searching and trying various combinations of commands (over the course of 24 hours), the one that wound up working was:
in my address bar. After entering that and sending a firmware file (actually sent a tomato build on accident when I meant to send the stock file), my ping started timing out then came back to TTL=64 instead of 100! A 30-30-30 got me into tomato's web interface, from which I "upgraded" to the stock firmware.
I now have a fully functional WRT310N v2 on the stock firmware. I hope this information helps someone else with a semi-bricked router.
This looks interesting... _________________ SIG:
I'm trying to teach you to fish, not give you a fish. If you just want a fish, wait for a fisherman who hands them out. I'm more of a fishing instructor. So See this:
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:08 Post subject: Some may be wrong...
I admit that, after several hours of trying, I just started adding commands. I acknowledge that some may have not been needed, but that was the command line that I had in the address bar when it started working. If any of you know which ones were actually the ones that did anything, please add that info here!
This method seems to get me closest to unbricking the WRT310N v2. The command link works and directly after sending the command, tftp will accept a firmware file. The pings go dark, but after 10-15 seconds, it comes back with TTL=100 still and nothing has changed. Any ideas?
A huge kudos to the1williegeorge for posting this!!!
My stock router is a WRT310Nv2-CC which would not accept the dd-wrt firmware despite following the wiki to the letter. After lots and lots of googling found out that the cause is possibly the "-CC" which from what I understand was a distribution by comcast, (surprisingly the local microcenter store had loads of these for dirt cheap but they all turned out to be -CC, seems comcast offloaded a bunch of these left overs)
Anyway, I followed the OP's instructions and running the command let me tftp firmware to the router. I tried a bunch of them, including the trailed firmware but in the end what worked was the the dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin.
In hindsight, the other firmwares might have worked too but its possible that I didn't wait long enough after sending the firmware and for me the pings started timing out after sending the firmware and never came back, the last one I ended up waiting a whole 10 minutes before rebooting the router and lo and behold, I was in dd-wrt!!
I read the comments about the commands being mixed between cte and linux, not too savvy about that, point is, it worked for me even with the commands mixed up. This definitely would be useful on the wiki!
As to the mixed up commands, I still wish that someone with the system-level knowledge to decipher this would look over my original post and G33K's post and tell us which parts of it actually did something. Then maybe it would be clean enough to be useful in other research on these and maybe other routers.