simple, easy and fast way to revert to stock firmware

phukit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 16:53    Post subject: simple, easy and fast way to revert to stock firmware Reply with quote
Hi,

Here is a fast and simple way to put your stock firmware back on your router from any 3rd party firmware. I haven't found anything that is simple and fast so I put this together and this should only take you a couple of mins to do.

I have done this with the following routers and firmwares with no problems

TP Link TL-WR1034ND OpenWRT/MLPPP, OpenWRT and DD-WRT
TEW-632BRP v1.1 OpenWRT and DD-WRT

1. download latest firmware for your routers (makes it easy to rename it to something simple like tplink.bin)
2. download winscp (google it its FREE)
3. do a reset on your router to defaul settings with a hard reset
4. login to your router 192.168.1.1 with the SCP protocol
5. upload your firmware to the /tmp directory (do not change directory!)
6. push ctrl+t or click on commands menu than on open terminal
7. type this command in:

mtd -r write firmware.bin firmware (change firmware.bin to your bin)

*** This will install the firmware and will reboot your router and than you will get a message in winscp that you are not connected to the router this is normal and good. Once the router has been rebooted close winscp and continue

8. go back to your browser and login to your router with the stock firmware
9. IMPORTANT now use the stock firmware webgui upgrade option to rewrite the stock firmware or you can have the option to switch to another 3rd party firmware, but you MUST write the firmware again with the webgui
10. All DONE!!

Enjoy!

Last edited by phukit on Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:06; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Failing to do a hard reset prior to flashing (which you don't mention at all) will often result in a brick. And why use the dangerous mtd command, rather than just flashing with the webgui right from the start?
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
phukit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

sorry your right forgot about the reset to default settings.

and I use the mtd command because the webgui from dd-wrt or anyother 3rd party firmware does not work it often fails, and I would have to go into recovery mode to flash the firmware

this is just an alternative
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
phukit wrote:
because the webgui from dd-wrt or anyother 3rd party firmware does not work it often fails,

I have never seen this problem in any router where the process you outline would work instead....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Alessandro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 19:56    Post subject: Re: simple, easy and fast way to revert to stock firmware Reply with quote
Hi,
I've followed your instructions and have successfully restored the original firmware of a TP-WR841N.
Really very easy !
Thanks !! Very Happy
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds pretty much the same as a Telnet recovery to me, just using winscp instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: