NAT Reflection questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
youhsueh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:34    Post subject: NAT Reflection questions Reply with quote
Hi,

I have flashed my Dlink DIR-825 recently for the NAT Reflection module which is not available in the stock firmware.

Please allow me to explain how is my Dlink DIR-825 connected to the internet.

As I am using the Fibre Broadband, there is a necessity for the connection to pass by this few appliances:

Termination Point > Optical Network Terminal > Residential Gateway > Dlink DIR-825

As all my connection passes through Dlink DIR-825, I decided to disable the DHCP server and Wireless signals on the Residential Gateway.

Now, the problem is, the Dlink DIR-825 will be connected to the Residential Gateway. The Residential Gateway itself is a router. Hence, it assigns a local IP address to the router.

Therefore, the Dlink DIR-825 reads the WAN IP as the local IP assigned at the Residential Gateway - namely 192.168.0.2.

Hence, I would like to seek for your professional advice in order for NAT Reflection / Loopback to work properly whereas I am able to access the WAN IP allocated by the Optical Network Terminal on my Dlink DIR-825 instead of the Residential Gateway's local IP.

Thank you.
Sponsor
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 21:41    Post subject: Re: NAT Reflection questions Reply with quote
youhsueh wrote:
Now, the problem is, the Dlink DIR-825 will be connected to the Residential Gateway. The Residential Gateway itself is a router. Hence, it assigns a local IP address to the router.

Which Residential Gateway? Can't you turn it into a dumb switch or set it to bridge mode?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:28    Post subject: Re: NAT Reflection questions Reply with quote
fyi2000 wrote:
youhsueh wrote:

Which Residential Gateway? Can't you turn it into a dumb switch or set it to bridge mode?

The Residential Gateway model is Dlink DVG-N5402SP and it is provided by the ISP themselves. In no circumstances I can do any flashing to this firmware.

There is no option to set the Gateway as a Switch or Bridge Mode.

Please advice.
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this,
    Termination Point > Optical Network Terminal > D-Link DIR-825 > D-Link DVG-N5402SP

BTW, how many ips can you get from the ISP?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
fyi2000 wrote:
Try this,
    Termination Point > Optical Network Terminal > D-Link DIR-825 > D-Link DVG-N5402SP

BTW, how many ips can you get from the ISP?

Thanks for your advice. I am getting 1 IP from my ISP.

The setup have to go like this:

Termination Point > Optical Network Terminal > D-Link DVG-N5402SP (Residential Gateway) > D-Link DIR-825 (My Router)

It is impossible to change the chronology order as the Optical Network Terminal is locked to the Residential Gateway (D-Link DVG-N5402SP) and cannot be changed. I cannot bypass the Residential Gateway in anyway.

Do you have any suggestions, maybe to Route my WAN IP to my DIR-825 Local IP assigned by DVG-N5402SP, namely 192.168.0.2.

Thank you.
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
youhsueh wrote:
It is impossible to change the chronology order as the Optical Network Terminal is locked to the Residential Gateway (D-Link DVG-N5402SP) and cannot be changed. I cannot bypass the Residential Gateway in anyway.

What does "locked" mean? How? To the worst case, I think you only have to clone the mac address of the wan port from D-Link DVG-N5402SP to D-Link DIR-825. Have you ever tried it?

Check buddee's signature for DNS loopback. Your case is a bit complicated because you have to find out your public ip address first, maybe by DDNS, not the wan ip address of DIR-825. That's why I suggest you to connect DIR-825 to the Optical Network Terminal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
fyi2000 wrote:
youhsueh wrote:

What does "locked" mean? How? To the worst case, I think you only have to clone the mac address of the wan port from D-Link DVG-N5402SP to D-Link DIR-825. Have you ever tried it?

Check buddee's signature for DNS loopback. Your case is a bit complicated because you have to find out your public ip address first, maybe by DDNS, not the wan ip address of DIR-825. That's why I suggest you to connect DIR-825 to the Optical Network Terminal.

Thank you for your reply.

It simply means that the D-Link DVG-N5402SP MAC ID is locked to the Optical Network Terminal.

Hence, if I connect the D-Link DIR-825 directly to the Optical Network Terminal, no internet access will be detected.

EDIT: Tried the MAC ID advice but it is not working.

Please advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: