Help with installing DD-WRT on a Linksys E4200v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
EniGmA1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:53    Post subject: Help with installing DD-WRT on a Linksys E4200v1 Reply with quote
So I am new to this custom firmware stuff and dont really know what I am doing. I know quite a bit about computers and hardware though and do lots of custom ROMs and kernels with phones so I figure I can learn this easily enough. My problem comes from the only real info being LONG out of date and there are all these warnings about how you have to do everything perfectly or the router will be bricked. Can anyone help me with the exact steps I should do (if the wiki for the router is obsolete) and let me know exactly which build I should flash and then which ones to upgrade to?

The current DD-WRT page says the most current firmware is build 16785 (lol), the wiki page says to start with build 18777-mini-4200, but I can find builds using browsing the FTP going all the way up to 20548? So really I just need a little help with what build to start the flash with, and what build I should upgrade to. I assume I will want to end up with a "big" or "mega" build so I can access all the features right?
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow the wiki for the e4200.
EniGmA1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok well when upgrading past the initial -4200 trailed build is it safe to use the -nv60k builds? Cause the wiki says only the filenames with - nv60, but I dont really see any builds like that , just the ones with a k
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those are the ones. Nvram 60k=nv60k
EniGmA1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright thanks for the help.
EniGmA1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got DD-WRT flashed and going. SO far I stayed on the 18777 build since that was what was listed as the first one to flash in the wiki, although I did upgrade it to a "big" version.

Only problem is now I cant seem to get above 30mb/s on my internet downstream speed. On the stock firmware I could get 96mb/s

Could this possibly be fixed by trying out a newer build?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure. Read this.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: