PPP Compression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
aRouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 16:00    Post subject: PPP Compression Reply with quote
Hi,

I Just install v24 (05/02/07) standard and realise it has an option that allow user to enable or disable PPP compression over PPPOE connection. After brief googling on what it is, I still don't understand how to decide whether to or not to enable PPP compression? Is it a feature depend on ISP? Anyone can share more knowledge on this feature?

Thank you.
Sponsor
bruns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
It does work, basically enables the same type of compression you'd use with a PPP dialup session.

The exact same deal with PPP compression on dialup is the same with PPPoe compression - both ends have to support it, and rarely the provider end supports it due to the added processing load on the provider's equipment.

Best bet, try enabling it, and watch your logs to see if it gets enabled when you connect to the provider. If not, just turn it off.

cdkiller
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noob question: How do I watch the log to see if I am using PPP Compression. Maybe I should ask which file do I cat when I telnet to the dd-wrt router so see if PPP Compression is running? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdkiller wrote:
Noob question: How do I watch the log to see if I am using PPP Compression. Maybe I should ask which file do I cat when I telnet to the dd-wrt router so see if PPP Compression is running? Thanks.

Sep 18 00:13:11 DD-WRT user.info : interface added successfully
Sep 18 00:13:15 DD-WRT user.notice : issuperchannel: 0
Sep 18 00:13:15 DD-WRT user.notice : issuperchannel: 0
Sep 18 00:13:26 DD-WRT user.info : interface added successfully
Sep 18 00:13:33 DD-WRT user.info : interface added successfully
Sep 18 00:13:34 DD-WRT daemon.notice pppd[10330]: pppd 2.4.7 started by root, uid 0
Sep 18 00:13:34 DD-WRT user.info : ppp_redial : redial process successfully started
On logs from DD-wrt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: