PPTP Server/Client nightmares

Goto page Previous  1, 2
lostinspac3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had issues connecting through my Buffalo Router and discovered a bug in my current firmware was disallowing pptp passthrough to function properly.. no matter what I did the GRE commands would not stick. That was build 14998.. I have since reflashed my router with 17798 and everything is work now
Sponsor
RyanMM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't had time to do much troubleshooting on this but stumbled upon a partial solution today.

I noticed that on the PPTP server router that in the LAN status, under PPTP connections, it listed a PPP0 client with a 192.168.11.1 IP address.

That's the INTERNAL IP address of the PPTP client router. It should've been getting a 192.168.1.x address, which is what happens if I do a VPN connection from a computer directly to the PPTP server.

I realized that somehow, the PPTP client router was not being assigned an address correctly by the PPTP router. So with that in mind, a couple googles later I found this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=658338#658338

Bam.

Quote:
Solution is quite simple, in PPTP Config is needed to put "noipdefault", so new value of MPPE Encryption is noipdefault mppe required.

So to clarify - On the PPTP CLIENT, in the MPPE Required textbox, you have to put:

noipdefault mppe required

Do that, reboot the client router, and bam - No problem at all communicating with stuff on the other router.

It's just slow. Super-slow. 150kbps file transfer slow, despite upstreams at both locations in excess of 2-5Mbps. Sad

So now I have to troubleshoot that part.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: