Administration|Commands WRT54GS v7.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
BobAT286
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:33    Post subject: Administration|Commands WRT54GS v7.0 Reply with quote
*EDIT - Found the info I was looking for -- Still Lookin for info on why redhawk0's suggested commands to find the answer in command shell did NOT work!*
----------------------------------------------------
On Jul 28, 2009 redhawk0 wrote in post re: Routers that will and won't support k2.4 NEWD2
Quote:
Added info....to avoid confusion regarding what is what here.
NEWD = Kernel K2.4.37 and wl driver = 4.150.10.31
NEWD2 = Kernel K2.4.37 and wl driver = 4.150.66.6
You can view this using "wl ver" command...and "uname -a" command.

in command shell "wl ver" command returns the version number, however "uname -a" returns the following:
Code:
"sh: eval: line 1: uname: not found"

Is it me? What am i doing wrong? Any other way to find out the kernel so i know what build to upgrade to?
***EDIT ---> Found the NEWD info, finally; Embarassed see below, the rest of the post stands. <--- /EDIT***

...Can someone point me in the right direction for dd-wrt specific (wrt54gs v7-'neutered') busybox help? I'm reluctant to just type in commands that i googled... (back in my DOS days, i wanted to know if i had FAT16 or FAT32 format of file system on my hard drive, so i typed in format c?, and well, the COLON is RIGHT THERE ABOVE the danged question mark key, and...)
...OK, that never really happened but...
Typing "help" in the command shell box gave me a list of commands that did NOT include "uname"... The wiki listing for Busybox lists "uname" and also "ls" -- ...running "ls" command gave me a similar "not found" error. If there's MORE in the wiki (auf Englische) i don't know how to find it, and i have been, um, less than successful searching the forums. (Every search i do lists about 167 pages, most of which never even MENTION the term i'm hunting for... at this rate, i'll learn *nix BEFORE i figure out the wiki and searching the forum! And lets not even TALK about how many TABS i have open in firefox by the time I find my answer/give up! Crying or Very sad

thanks in advance, -bob

p.s. - Turns out i DO have wl0 version 4.150.10.31, so maybe i DO need NEWD... Does that imply kernel K2.4.37? It's core rev. 13, if that helps. I managed to get THAT out of the command shell, TOO; go figure! *NOTE - build 14929 installed 2/9/11!!

***UPDATE -- Went ahead and installed build 14929 - PC over ethernet and iPod on WiFi about the same, is my Wii over WiFi even slower? (Could it BE any slower?) OR Is it my ISP? I think build 13064 was more stable than my ISP... Wink Is it possible/extremely difficult to go back/downgrade if continued testing finds this to be true? (I had read that 14929 gave BETTER WiFi speeds...)
-Finally- DID find in the Wiki that "normal = NEWD", So, Sorry about that dumb question...
ALSO - STILL would SURE LIKE a link/pointer/hint to an accurate primer for the busybox commands that are supported on my "neutered" GS v7... (and why "neutered"? What about "castrated" or "emasculated" - which would be more denigrating?) Would it help to compress my CFE? Or would there still be "No Room at the Inn"? And when I look at the Wiki, it appears that the micro builds do MORE than the micro-plus!?! Only difference I see is micro has support for sputnik and micro-plus DOESN'T? Huh?? Confused

And sorry also for the long post... -B

BobAT286
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Replying to my OWN post; so sad...

I see "views" on my original post still (slowly) climbing... Since I don't know if this is people reading 'show unanswered posts' or people ACTIVELY looking for answers and thinking my post might somehow apply... I thought I would post some of my research/conclusions:

for WRT54GS v7.0 ONLY (v7.2 is TOTALLY different thing):
...This is a "neutered" router. (only 2MB flash memory) so only a limited command set is available.
...Expanded (full? at least including - ls?) Command Set is only available in Micro-Plus version of dd-wrt - although the wiki doesn't note that it is included in Micro-Plus.
...Haven't done it yet, (no backup router) but v 7.0 .cfe CAN be compressed to allow Micro-Plus to be installed on these routers (see here:)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38844&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120
(towards the bottom of the page, continued on page 10 - A special THANKS! to DarkShadow and beyondwind -- I will repost when and if I get up the nerve/have a backup in case of bricks, to try it...
... Am now running svn 14929 - which is a NEWD version, doesn't say it in the name, but apparently ALL brainslayer versions are... took me awhile to find that nugget (It absolutely does not need NEWD2 or VINT - which are Eko builds, even though the micro-plus IS only an Eko build, but still, DON'T use NEWD2 or K26 for THIS router)
... As noted above (but obfusticated by long, rambling, heavily edited post), using Command Shell in the GUI, confirmed that wireless driver IS ver 4.150.10.31 so NEWD2 is NOT appropriate.

questions and/or comments appreciated (i.e. - "Why don't you delete this entire thread.") Rolling Eyes
...best regards, -bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: