Why does it show other APs signal strength? (client mode)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
web1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24    Post subject: Why does it show other APs signal strength? (client mode) Reply with quote
I was messing around with some equipment here and noticed that when I turned off the AP that I am connected to SSID "mine", the "Status_Wireless" page still shows a signal strength for "mine" !!

It's a live signal strength because it keeps changing (and yes, I am reading the "Signal" one not the "Noise" one).

There are other APs around and so it's giving me the signal strength for one of those? None of them are named "mine" and the MAC address for "mine" is there on the screen the entire time.

What is up with that?

I always thought I was reading the MAC address's signal strength but now I wonder what happens when I get out of range, does it just start showing random strength of any nearby AP? Why would it do that?

Anyone else seen this or tested for it?

This is a WRT54G and the latest stable DD-WRT.
Sponsor
web1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone tried this to see what I mean?
foxale08
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Define "latest stable." I have seen unusual behavior from DD-WRT before. This would appear to be expected behavior from my experience.
web1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
foxale08 wrote:
Define "latest stable." I have seen unusual behavior from DD-WRT before. This would appear to be expected behavior from my experience.
The expected behavior I have in mind is that if a transmitter stops transmitting for a while, you would show that the transmitter is not transmitting, because it's not.

And the expected behavior would not include showing a signal strength from some different transmitter that you aren't even "associated" with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: