Serial Port pinout for e2500

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
desterly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 19:01    Post subject: Serial Port pinout for e2500 Reply with quote
my e2500 is currently stuck in a bootloop and not taking the tftp upload.

I figure this weekend I'll crack it open and do a serial flash to get it back up and running but a quick search hasn't revealed the pinouts for the serial port for that specific model.

Does anyone have a reference to the pinout and/or know if it's the same pinout as one of the other models that does have a reference?

Thanks
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
the serial pin out is the same as any other linksys

vcc, tx, rx, n/c, gnd

EDIT: this is for the 5 pin header (holes) on the pcb

Last edited by barryware on Fri Mar 09, 2012 19:04; edited 1 time in total
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was the same as most of the NV60k routers, I use a ribbon one and red faces in the direction of the lan ports...

-Fractal
desterly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great... thanks guys..

Now I just hope I still have everything needed to build the cable (forgot about the 3.3v)
daemian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 18:29    Post subject: Some Help Reply with quote
I know this is an old thread, but I have been searching for quite some time without success to find the aforementioned pinouts. I don't have much experience with physical circuitry, etc so I was hopping someone would be willing to provide me a bit more detail. Here is a picture of my E2500 opened up.

1 - Which set of holes am I looking at, and
2 - In barryware's description of the pinout order, is that top to bottom, left to right, etc?

Or can someone help me find the thread with this info? I have searched, but just can't locate them.

Thanks!

(I figured this was a good place to put it since future searchers will likely find this thread in 5 seconds like I did).
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 21:23    Post subject: Re: Some Help Reply with quote
daemian wrote:
I know this is an old thread,

??

Serial appears to be those "five holes" next to the "big square shiny thing". "Square" circle one will be vcc. Look carefully at the holes and you should see one is square. Solder in a header. Attach a lead and see the "serial recovery" wiki article.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody got a descent High resolution pic of this PCB? If so PM me.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
Anybody got a descent High resolution pic of this PCB? If so PM me.

If still needed, I will take pictures of my E2500 serial'd with my iphone and upload them.. It is simple to do and takes 5 minutes tops. The parts are super cheap to make a serial console.. If anyone needs me to post where I got mine let me know..

-Fractal
daemian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:48    Post subject: Labeled pinout Reply with quote
Fractal - if you would be willing I think that would be great. I know I would appreciate it.

So based on the info given (and with a better photo of the area of interest), here is what I came up with.

<--Edited-->
Removed the picture which identified the wrong pin set
-Read the remainder of the thread

Last edited by daemian on Thu Apr 12, 2012 19:28; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
that is correct.. the hole with the square pad is always pin one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:52    Post subject: usb serial device Reply with quote
ok. 2 more questions on this

#1 - I noticed last night there is another set of 5 pinouts, on the board that I didn't see before. If the LAN ports are are on top, these 5 run vertical and are below the large silver square (CPU or whatever it is). The pinout row from my previous picture is above the the silver square and run horizontal (again with the ethernet ports on top). Which set is it? Did i get the right ones the first time. Is it #1 or #2 in this pic?

#2 - I see alot of info about using the CA-42 Nokia phone cable for serial. However, I also found a post referring to using one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JKNWLE/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details
Will this work? Has 3.3v, seems much easier that splicing a cable and check voltage on the wires...

Thanks!
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is my E2500 Serialed.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:

That is not the same router.

@Daemian - A level shifting ttl adapter will work. See the serial recovery wiki for information on different devices, and the linked everything you wanted to know about serial thread.

Figuring out the proper wires takes about 1 minute with a ca42.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
daemian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Fractal wrote:

That is not the same router.

I was wondering...

Murrkf wrote:
... and the linked everything you wanted to know about serial thread.

I have looked at that wiki page probably 15 times, never noticed the link at the bottom... Thanks!

So back question #1 from this morning
daemian wrote:
Which set is it? Did i get the right ones the first time. Is it #1 or #2 in this pic?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="daemian"]
So back question #1 from this morning
daemian wrote:
Which set is it? Did i get the right ones the first time. Is it #1 or #2 in this pic?

Fair question. Both look like serial to me. One might be a USB connection? Since I don't have that router, I cannot say for sure. You might have to do further research if no one responds authoratively. Barryware is most likely to know.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: