ESXi woes

Angry
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:08    Post subject: ESXi woes Reply with quote
I ran into an issue a few minutes ago with running DD-wrt x86 in ESXi.

What I did, was use the VMware standalone converter to convert my DD-wrtx86 Workstation VM to an ESXi VM.

All of that went well, however, I could not get the DD-wrt ESXi VM to see the WAN of the modem.

Usually, with my workstation VM of DD-wrt, I disable all protocols for the NIC I added thats connected to the modem, except the VMware Bridge protocol. And bridge it to VMnet4 in the Virtual Network Editor.
And works, it passes what the modem sends to the NIC directly to the DD-wrt VM. It gets the IP address and everything from the modem. (this is the 1st NIC that dd-wrt sees, and sees it as WAN)

And then the built in NIC of the motherboard is bridged to Vmnet1 in Virtual Network Editor, and is left alone protocol wise and is connected to a physical switch. (this is the 2nd NIC dd-wr sees) From there, it acts just like a hardwired router. Perfectly. It does take the Windows 7 host a few extra min to get an IP, however everything connected to the physical switch gets served quickly.

So, I guess I either need to somehow "bridge" the 2nd NIC thats connected to the modem on the ESXi host to the DD-wrt x86 VM, or Direct pass the 2nd NIC to the dd-wrt ESXi Vm?

My ESXi host doesnt support DirectPath unfortunately.

And from what I can tell here:

Im feeding the modem directly to a switch, instead of the DD-wrt X86 VM in ESXi?
Is there a way to around that?
Sponsor
j911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Couple of questions

Is Esxi running on the same host as windows 7 or is windows 7 running on another physical piece of hardware?
If its the same you are better off using vmware workstation and build the ddwrt & esxi vms separately in workstation.

According to your screen shot the wan nic is disconnected...Have you compared the wan & lan macs within the webinterface to their switch assignments to ensure they are correct?

Have you tried using a static ip for your windows workstation?
j911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Couple of questions

Is Esxi running on the same host as windows 7 or is windows 7 running on another physical piece of hardware?
If its the same you are better off using vmware workstation and build the ddwrt & esxi vms separately in workstation.

According to your screen shot the wan nic is disconnected...Have you compared the wan & lan macs within the webinterface to their switch assignments to ensure they are correct?

Have you tried using a static ip for your windows workstation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: