WRT320N - won't switch IP address after manual update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
furlonghokie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:15    Post subject: WRT320N - won't switch IP address after manual update Reply with quote
I have dual WRT320N routers and i'm setting up one of them as a wireless bridge. Both routers have build DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/08/11) mega installed. I followed the directions for setting up the secondary as a bridge as detailed here:

[/url]http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge[url]

Per the instructions I updated the IP address of the "bridge" router to 192.168.1.2 and then saved. When trying to login i can't access the main panel even though I can still access it through 192.168.1.1. What gives?

I'm a relative nOOb, but i've successfully installed dd-wrt twice and both routers are fully functional as a standalone. I would just like to complete the bridge setup so I can finish the project i'm working on at home.

Thanks for any help.[/url]
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
set a static ip on your pc. connect to the router via wire you are trying to configure (repeater bridge).

change the lan ip, click save, then click apply.

if the repeater bridge is functioning correctly and you have it configured right, it will connect to the host wirelessly and you should have full access to your network via wire. once that is working, now connect to the bridge via wireless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
set a static ip on your pc. connect to the router via wire you are trying to configure (repeater bridge).

change the lan ip, click save, then click apply.

if the repeater bridge is functioning correctly and you have it configured right, it will connect to the host wirelessly and you should have full access to your network via wire. once that is working, now connect to the bridge via wireless.

I think that I might be having trouble setting the static IP. My main PC is an iMac. Would it be easier if I set the bridge up using my Windows based laptop?

Except for that step, i'm doing everything you said. I'm not interested in using the bridge as an additional wireless access point, rather just as a way to extend my wireless signal to areas that I have components that don't have integrated wifi, and due to the fact that I can't get a wire run to that area of my house.
furlonghokie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
in case anyone might be able to learn from me here is what I did to remedy the situation.

I upgraded both routers to the latest stable version of dd-wrt via clicking through the router database.

Then I set my laptop to a static iP, after which I ran through the setup steps to a T documented in the URL in my post above.

The one thing that the instructions don't tell you to do is to Apply Settings after step 8 - it just tells you to save. Once I did that I was able to log back into the new IP address and everything works great now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: