WRT54G2 v1 Dropping Transfer rate Repeater Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
topet2k12001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
NOTE: My post below is for regular router usage (single router), not repeater mode but just wanted to report just in case it may help.

Hi Friends,

New member here and first-time DD-WRT user. Just wanted to give feedback. I initially installed the recommended firmware as per the Wiki page for my router - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2#NEW_WIKI_Install_Material

Quote:
Tftp the DD-WRT firmware to the router, use "dd-wrt.v24-10709_NEWD_micro.bin" that you downloaded in step 2; after sucessful tftp, wait 3 min for the router to finish writing new nvram deafults, etc... It should reboot on its own at least two times, so give it 3 min and then go to http://192.168.1.1 (If it not reboot on its own, wait another 1 min, and then power cycle it)

8. When if finishes booting up...do a hard reset on the unit...let it boot again, and configure.

9. Upgrade the NEWD_Micro.bin build 12548 after you have dd-wrt running, following the steps in note 1 of the peacock announcement

My hardware:

Router: Linksys (Cisco) WRT54G2 V1
Wireless Receiver: Linksys WMP110 RangePlus (B/G)...PCI slot for a desktop computer
Other device (for test transfer of files: Nokia N9
Files Transferred: 5GB worth of music (mp3) files
Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Windows 8 (dual-boot)

Observations:

1. With the build 12548 I experienced the "transfer rate dropping" issue. I monitored the "Rate" through the DD-WRT "Status" page and confirmed the issue. This was with Ubuntu 12.04.
2. I tried to change firmware to build 14929, being mentioned as the still-recommended version: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
3. Tried to do the transfer of the same 5GB worth of music files and then monitored again via the DD-WRT GUI. The performance was better and never saw the "Rate" fluctuate...it was consistent at the 54Mbps measure.

One thing though: I tried the transfer while on build 14929 on Windows 8. I will try the same in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and revert back. But I wanted to report this early on in the hopes that this may help provide more insights to the thread.

By the way, big thanks to the community, and great job! My reason for switching from official Linksys firmware to DD-WRT was to "disable" the WPS feature (to protect from Reaver attacks). Smile

PS: I posted this same message first at the other thread with almost the same title: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=719704#719704

Update (10.24.2012 12:17pm +8 GMT):

Friends,

Transferring the same set of files (5GB) in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I am experiencing a very slow transfer rate. On the DD-WRT GUI page ("Rate" under "Status" page) I am seeing 5.5Mbps.

Files are being transferred via Filezilla 3.5.3 (same version of Filezilla that I used when I transferred files on Windows Cool.

I booted back to Windows 8 and tried the transfer again (same set of files) for 3 times and the results are consistent as my findings earlier (great transfer rate at 54Mbps).

Hence at this point, I am not sure if it's the Operating System that is the factor/variable, or the driver of the wireless card that I'm using (WMP110 RangePlus, PCI card wireless b/g).

Update (10.28.2012 18:25pm +8 GMT):

Hi Friends,

Apparently, after a few days I started to see the drop in connection as well, even in MS Windows 8 (version 14929). Following the post from the guy the previous page (last post) where he tried out the latest firmware at the time (which was dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin) where he had success after a month of monitoring, I then tried today version dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin. So far so good and this one looks better. Currently transferring 2.3GB worth of music files and "Rate" shows 54 Mbps even in Ubuntu 12.04.

Will revert back with updates. I will again try the same exercise (file transfer of a large collection of mp3 files), as well as monitor my Internet connection. Although just to share, as far as Internet connection goes, DSL in my country is just at an average of 1.5 to 2 Mbps (most likely the reported drops down to 1-2 Mbps won't matter to me as already explained in a previous post above), so I am really just checking out file transfers via wi-fi here. But just like to share that in version 14929 I have experienced some loss of Internet connectivity via wi-fi (tried to deduce by directly attaching my DSL modem to my computer and no problems).
Sponsor
barkeater
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 0:50    Post subject: wrt54g2 v1 Reply with quote
I also installed the dd-wrt onto my router to address Reaver vulnerability. However, I am using the v24-sp2 (12548) build and am getting around 20 MB/sec although it fluctuates +/- 5mbps. Tried the 14929 and was getting around 15 MB/sec.

My setup is pretty simple. I have a desktop wired to router and then a laptop connected via wireless network. I then transfere a large file and monitor on the Bandwidth Monitoring - Wireless via the GUI. Tried lots of the other suggestions but either did not effect the rate or made worse. Kinda bummed can't get 54 MB/sec but I did a speed test on the laptop and it is very close to the same speed as my desktop (20 mbps down/1 up). May try the 17990 micrp plus ssh that the user pf100 suggested a few posts back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too am having issues with the Wifi throughput. I attempted the 17990 builds to no avail. Still the same super slow downlink on Wifi only.

I did also attempt to boot the Tx power as in previous posts, i did see a small bump in speed for the first few seconds of tests, then reverting to the typical sub 1Mb.
I dis also boost it too 100, however this resulted in Wifi not operating at all, i actually had to reflash the firmware for it to work again.

This is my first time on DDWRT and while i do like it alot, this issue is a bummer.

Drew
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: