dd-wrt & domain netowrk with windows server 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
diablich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 16:19    Post subject: dd-wrt & domain netowrk with windows server 2008 Reply with quote
Hello,

how can i setup my dd-wrt powered router to work with local domain controller?

the problem is, because i dont know how to setup DNS in dd-wrt, since i need my router to give away 2 dns servers (one router's and one windows server's), and they both need to be authoritative, otherwise i can't ping or join domain.

i managed to set up DNS in dd-wrt to point to windows server (domain controller) and everything is ok, but if i turn off that machine, my dns aren't working. so i need my router to change dns from windows to local or ISP's, so i can browse internet with no problems.

any advice would be appreciated.

br
Sponsor
diablich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
in other words, how can i force dnsmasq dhcp to give me two DNS servers, and both authoritative?

br
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're right that the normal way is to just point DD-WRT to the server, but if that machine is going to be down, configure an external DNS right below where you configured the server's in DD-WRT. You'll notice in the WAN Connection Type (Static IP) that there's space for three.
diablich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm using pppoe connection, and there are 3 static dns slots below DHCP options. is this it?

br
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I didn't realize you were using it for PPPoE (the DNS I was referring to appears in the top section if you were running WAN static). The DNS you see in the DHCP section would be if you have the router serving DHCP, which is not normally the case in a domain environment.
diablich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
i see.. just one more thing, what is the local dns option under router IP setup?

br
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is that what you were referring to when you said you pointed the router's DNS at the server?

What about if you configure the DHCP you are using, Windows Server's, to issue a secondary DNS to workstations (i.e. something besides the server's IP)? When the server is down, that should still be fine, because the cached credential system still allows the user to login, and your previous client IP settings should then be in effect.
diablich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
heh thanks for all the help, i did it. this domain network is strictly school related, personally i think it's too much for use in home network.

anyway this is how i did it:
i set up local dns under router IP to windows server IP
and then entered ISP's dns servers next to static dns 1 and static dns 2. this works, i was able to join to domain using netbios and fqdn, and if i shut down server, pages are still resolving properly.

br
sefs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
diablich wrote:
heh thanks for all the help, i did it. this domain network is strictly school related, personally i think it's too much for use in home network.

anyway this is how i did it:
i set up local dns under router IP to windows server IP
and then entered ISP's dns servers next to static dns 1 and static dns 2. this works, i was able to join to domain using netbios and fqdn, and if i shut down server, pages are still resolving properly.

br

I am looking to try this very thing. But tell me.

I already have the dd-wrt operating as the local dns and dhcp server.

That is I have enabled "Use DNSMasq for DHCP" and Use DNSMasq for DNS"

Then in the services page i have local dns enabled.

So the router is acting as a dns server for the network.

In this setup the ip of the dd-wrt router is pushed with a dhcp lease.

So if I want to add a domain controller and log into it from a client where dhcp is served from the dd-wrt router it will get the ip from the ddwrt router as the dns which would be a faulty setup. It should get the ip of the domain controller.

Now what would happen if i put in the windows server ip as the local dns in the router IP section. Is this not two dns ip values conflicting somehow on the same router? I can't understand it.

1/
Which ip will the ddwrt router push out with the dhcp lease?

2/ when the domain controller is off is it that the router will fall back to using its own dnsmasq server for dns?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: