Applying settings to a R7800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ORWS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 14:25    Post subject: Applying settings to a R7800 Reply with quote
After seeing that about every "What router should I get?"-post in the past 12 months is answered with "R7800" I've stopped reading reviews and just ordered one. Paid 160 bucks to a store for a brand new one.

So far really happy. After flashing an older .IMG build as per version 19 of the installation guide I continued and put v3.0-r43502 (06/23/20) on it. My old router was bottlenecking the ability to fill the 500Mbit/s pipe, this one runs smooth as butter.

One little thing that concerns me is I somehow seem to have triggered a crash after which I had to reconfigure the router from scratch, I was presented the create password welcome page. I applied some settings (believe I was setting up wireless at that point) to which the GUI instantly responded. Thinking all was good I quickly continued changing some more settings and pressed apply again. Result was a crash that I could only fix via the reset button. Couldn't connect to the GUI, couldn't SSH.

I later learned that while the GUI responds and accepts user input immediately after pressing apply, the LEDs seem to indicate a boot procedure of sorts. Pressing apply, all LEDs go off except for the power LED. The other LEDs then slowly 'build up' over the course of 1 minute or so.

Is this user error on my end and should I give the thing a little more time between applying changes, or is this an indication that something's wrong?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configure each page, click "Save" (twice for good measure), and when you are done with ALL of your configs, go to the Services or Administration page and click on the red "Reboot" button. Not sure if the recent JS changes that will be in the next release will fix things or not, but "Apply" sometimes does screwy things. Also, if you are using any Chromium-based browser not in Incognito mode with any extensions loaded, you will have problems. Ideally, Firefox ESR latest or v52 Portable, Waterfox Classic, IE, Pale Moon, Opera, and Safari seem to work best.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
After flashing DDWRT did you do from CLI (telnet/putty):
nvram erase && reboot

Only spontaneous reboots I have seen on recent builds where from the NAS, was it when setting up USB/NAS?

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
ORWS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
After flashing DDWRT did you do from CLI (telnet/putty):
nvram erase && reboot
I did. And I did not set up any NAS/USB.
asavage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had my R7800s for a week, and losing settings isn't a problem I've seen, but . . .

Twice, I had issues that I started writing a new post for advice, and by the time I'd gone to actually post, they fixed themselves. My takeaway is that changing a setting, saving, and rebooting does not always get instantaneous results; some processes seem to take a while to settle down to homeostasis.

* WiFi ON/OFF button's LED turning OFF, took minutes for it to finally go out.

* A problem with "Filter WAN NAT Redirection" OFF and "Block WAN SNMP access" ON seemed to kill local SNMP, but by the time I'd documented it, the problem just disappeared.

My takeaway is to wait a half-hour before getting ruffled about a problem the occurs during initial config, or after I've changed a setting, because behind the scenes things take a while to settle down.

R7800 x2
ORWS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
In any case, next time I'll save all changes that I've made and then apply them en-masse instead of pressing apply after every value I altered.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may have better luck with 43516. The webUI fixes applied since 43502 seem to have helped the glitchy-ness, but time will tell.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ORWS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, installed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: