what router for wireless repeating?

anthony82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 17:21    Post subject: what router for wireless repeating? Reply with quote
Hi, in the town of my summer house there is a free wifi with weak signal.
I want to repeat it inside my house.

For the moment I have a 2100/2200 Fonera with ddwrt configured as WDS Station (with virtual WDS AP) that does the job, but the Fonera is really slow and weak on signal. Moreover, as far as I know, WDS Station is not the right configuration, but atheros routers doesn't have repeater mode (is it right?).

So, can U suggest a router for this job?
I want it cheap and with, obviously, a very good antenna.

thanks in advance!
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Atheros doesn't have a repeater mode in the drop-down menu, but you can do it by setting the router up in client mode and creating a VAP. That should do better than WDS.

I don't have any broadcom experience, but I've heard multiple times that broadcom is easier for advanced routing, while qca has superior radios. Since your routing is handled elsewhere, atheros may be the better option. Which one depends on your price range.
anthony82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
even better in signal?
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many of the more recent qca chips allow for good power. The qca9558 and qca9880 in my TP-Link Archer C7 allow turning 5ghz up to 30dbm and 2.4ghz up to 24dbm, providing a noticeable range improvement over stock. I cover 2 floors of a concrete/rebar building with 2.4ghz and 1½ with 5ghz. I get 2 bars on both with my phone at 150m+ in open air, and the receivers must be decent as well, because at that distance, the signal from any phone will be minimal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: