Disabled Reset Button Feature NOT Working?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
clipz98
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 17:10    Post subject: Disabled Reset Button Feature NOT Working?! Reply with quote
So I just installed DD-WRT last night on my Linksys E2000, with the recommended trailed build (14929). The whole reason I installed DD-WRT in the first place was because of the "reset button disable" feature (which of course the stock Linksys firmware didn't have) in to prevent this person from keeping on resetting my router each time to gain access to its settings. The feature seemed to work at first (it didn't the first time I tried it, but when I re-did my settings and rebooted, it seemingly worked) and my E2000's reset button wasn't responding. I'm not worried about losing my password to access it so disabling the reset button doesn't worry me too much. However, this little meddler was somehow able to reset my router's settings yet again, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't shorting any pins!

I'm really pissed that this functionality isn't even working as advertised! But maybe I shouldn't be surprised, because I saw this post on a different website saying that it could be disabled before I even installed DD-WRT: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomato-vs-dd-wrt.36861/ (it's post #3 btw). With that said, I'm pretty damn sure this person doesn't know how to perform a 30/30/30 reset, but worst-case scenario, is this a possibile work-around against the feature? Should I switch to a more recent build where it may have a more stable "disable" function? I'm out of ideas, especially after trying to heavily research this "phenomenon" and only finding posts where people say they can absolutely NOT reset their routers after disabling it because they forgot their password (except for that above site I posted). That needs to be the same case for me (except the losing my password part haha). At this point I'm tempted to physically remove the button, but any help is appreciated!
Sponsor
clipz98
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump + Update: I'm having some second insight. I'm not sure if this is the issue here but something tells me that he's either a) using the E2000's WPS button to somehow reset it or b) using the Cisco Connect software CD to somehow fuck with the router. I just re-restored my proper settings and tested the reset button again, holding it for a while, and it didn't budge at all!

These are some stupid hypotheses, but my reasoning behind "point a" is that since upgrading to DD-WRT, the WPS button has become orange instead of its usual blue. And yesterday I read that there's an alternate way of resetting some linksys routers using the WPS button. So maybe it's attracting him as a clue to somehow reset it. My reasoning behind "point b" is highly unlikely, but he's used the software CD in addition to resetting the router in order to restore the stock firmware's settings then rename my SSID and password settings to make it look like the router I set up, but have access to its settings! I already hid the disc and I'm pretty sure Cisco Connect couldn't even interface with a DD-WRT-modded router if it wanted to, but I'm just being paranoid at this point...
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your verbal mandate of "don't frigg with the router" is not enough to keep the person out, but you are still allowing physical access to the equipment?

I accept that it would be nice for the feature to "work as advertised" but I'm trying to be practical here and suggest that the solution may not be where you seek. It sounds to me like the issue is significantly more complicated than building a better reset button; a person can also build a better paperclip. Somebody who knows how to reset to defaults and reconfigure for his personal benefit will not be deterred by your machinations thusfar. If he doesn't respect you enough to stay out of your network, then if you somehow managed to "virtually" lock him out of the router, he surely can just patch in his own router, till such time as you made access physically impossible, or made the consequences unacceptable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: