WNR3500L Lan limited to 100mbit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Mhisani
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 15:42    Post subject: WNR3500L Lan limited to 100mbit? Reply with quote
WNR3500L working fantastically however I've noticed I can not get a better transfer speed than 100mbit between hosts even though they are all connected to the router with gigabit.

Iperf always reports 99.5-100mbit throughput. Am I missing something?

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/20/11) std-usb-nas
(SVN revision 18024)

Thanks for your help on a previous thread and with this problem solved I have a perfect router solution.

Many thanks.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, LAN is gigabit on the WNR3500L and you surely have a gigabit link between your clients since Fast Ethernet (100Mbit) will not give you more than around 80Mbit effectively.

Low quality ethernet cables is the first thing to suspect followed by bottlenecks in the clients due to file system, client overall load, hard disk or hard disk controller limits.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried between multiple machines and they are on seperate cables. And the result is consistant
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your traffic between the 4 LAN ports is not handled by dd-wrt unless you have created your own VLAN's on them in which case software routes the traffic between them.
Default is that the switch handles the traffic in hardware.

You need at least Cat5E marked cables for gigabit ports, preferably Cat6.
Test by connecting your computers to an external gigabit switch and check if you get any higher bandwidth - I doubt you will.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
What hard drive can provide read speeds of 1 GB/second? You're going to be limited by the slowest bottleneck in whatever you're trying to do. Do you know if Windows TCP/IP stack can even provide data to the network at the max read speed of a SSD (250 mb/sec)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: