wireless performance issues on WRT54G in mixed mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kevintap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 20:40    Post subject: wireless performance issues on WRT54G in mixed mode Reply with quote
Hi,

I've had some intermittent download performance issues on my wireless network, which I finally tracked down a possible cause today.

I have the following hardware and firmware:

Router Model
Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929

Today when I was dealing with a painfully slow download, I checked the status page of my router and noticed in the wireless section that the Rate was reported at 5.5 Mbps. I have the router configured in mixed mode to allow both 'B' and 'G' clients to connect. I switched the mode to G-only and the download rate increased significantly.

Yesterday, I had another download that was taking an exceedingly long time and I tried switching the router to a different wireless channel. Making this configuration change to a different wireless channel yesterday improved the download rate for a period of time. (I did not notice or pay attention to the Rate setting yesterday on the Status page.) It seems that switching wireless channels temporarily cures the problem.

Are there any known issues with this hardware/firmware running in mixed mode where 'G' clients will somehow fallback to a slower connection speed? And, no, signal quality is not an issue. I have good signal quality and the 'G' wireless client is located in the same room as the router.

I am under the impression that each wireless client can negotiate its own speed with the router based on signal quality. Is that the case? Or are all wireless clients forced to use the negotiated speed of the client device with the worst signal quality on the network?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some have reported problems with mixed mode. Try build 12548 or 15962 if you wish to try a different build that might work better.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: