AC Routers worth it?

chris777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 14:15    Post subject: AC Routers worth it? Reply with quote
I've read a lot of the research on AC, but that doesn't mean in real life they work as well as they say. Curious what your experience has been. Is 1900 worth it? 1200? What specs are ideal?

In my case my router will sit in cove in the corner of my basement. This is a room with an opening but the entire walls is 12in thick concrete. I need something powerful enough to hopefully cover my house. So far nothing has worked(N600, E2000 with Antenna mod, Dlink 665, WRT54g, few others). I've had bad router luck as most of these have failed for other reasons as well.

Anyways, is AC the best route for me? If so, what should I look for in AC. Would like to not spend over $100 if I can help it.
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
12" concrete walls are an issue. 5ghz is pretty much worthless. Are all walls of your house concrete? If so, it'll be a difficult task regardless, but at least try to get the router to a centralized location. N450 is likely the fastest you'll be able to use, since its 2.4ghz. Even if you get something powerful enough to provide a signal throughout the house though, the clients may not be powerful enough to transmit back.
chris777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
12" concrete walls are an issue. 5ghz is pretty much worthless. Are all walls of your house concrete? If so, it'll be a difficult task regardless, but at least try to get the router to a centralized location. N450 is likely the fastest you'll be able to use, since its 2.4ghz. Even if you get something powerful enough to provide a signal throughout the house though, the clients may not be powerful enough to transmit back.

Not all walls, just the one the router is behind. I did already get anxious and buy one. I can return it if it's doesn't work out well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B0CQCCC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Hopefully it's good.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, it's not good.
Try to stick with netgear or Asus.
Even a wrt1900ac or wrt1200ac.
The Asus and net gear are the easiest to flash with the Asus being harder to brick.
I wou,d try with the netgear r7000 or rt-ac68, you can get them used in your budget.

Navigation

Jump to: