SPI Firewall: what, exactly, does it do?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the SPI firewall function in WDS mode? I realize I wouldn't need it enabled to be protected from the WAN (my WAN router has it enabled) but I would enjoy the additional protection from "Neighbors" via WiFi...

or perhaps another question would be what is the best AP security for WDS mode (Station/Client)

Thank you
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laithan wrote:
Does the SPI firewall function in WDS mode?

or perhaps another question would be what is the best AP security for WDS mode (Station/Client)

Thank you

The wikis say:
Broadcom,
Code:
8. On the client, disable the firewall. Security -> Firewall -> Firewall Protection -> SPI Firewall. First Uncheck everything BUT Filter Multicast, click Save. Now Disable the SPI Firewall and click Save.

Atheros,
Code:
Step 8: Go to the Security → Firewall page
Uncheck all of the boxes except Filter Multicast
Click Save
Check the Disable button at the top
Click Save

I haven't tried with firewall enabled but I bet it won't work.

WPA2-personal-AES :https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_security#Pre-shared_.28personal.29_vs_Enterprise_.28RADIUS.29

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply. I should have specified that I had followed the Wiki and configured the firewall as suggested.

I will have to do some experimentation (and do not mind) but if someone has already taken the time to specifically identify what/why can and cannot be enabled with regard to the firewall page it would be really good information.

I mean, the Wiki says to disable basically everything but is that really just a shotgun approach to ensure things work at the sake of some security or a truly necessary configuration or could it be that the WAN port isn't being used and it only applies to that port anyway? It is always good to know why something cannot be done or not recommended to be done vs just "no, don't do it" Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: