Make the web login work when repeating a wireless signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
narsilion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 18:17    Post subject: Make the web login work when repeating a wireless signal Reply with quote
My university has a public free WiFi that works like the one mentioned in this post: there is no password for connecting, but you need to enter your student login and password on a browser when you first connect and every 1 hour after that. (the login page usually pops up automatically)

My problem is the signal doesn't reach the place where I usually stay (the SSID shows up, but my computer won't connect to it due to the distance). I purchased a TP-Link WR740N (v4) router in order to repeat that signal, and after following a tutorial here, it is ALMOST working. The login page is popping up (I can tell by the URL that is displayed), but it won't actually display that page. I only get an error that says I don't have internet access. The login page keeps popping up from time to time, showing that same error.

What I already did, based on the tutorial but also trial-and-error:

1) Installed DD-WRT v24 PreSP2 [Beta] Build: 21061 and did the 30/30/30 reset

2) [On Setup > Basic Setup] Switched WAN connection type from Disabled to Automatic Configuration - DHCP

3) Since the main router's IP is 10.56.0.1, I changed my router's IP to 10.56.42.1 (anything other than 0, right?)

4) [On Status > Wireless] Did a Site Survey and joined that public WiFi

5) [On Wireless > Basic Settings]

Set Wireless Mode to Client
Wireless Network Mode: Mixed (I didn't change this)
Channel Width: Full (20 MHz) (I didn't change this)
Set Wireless Channel to 11 (same as the public Wifi)
Set the SSID to the same one as the public Wifi

6) [Still on Wireless > Basic Settings] Added a virtual interface with a different SSID and Wireless Mode: AP

7) As the original signal has no security (password), I left this virtual one also unsecured.

That's the setup that got me almost there. I later tried disabling/enabling DHCP, to see if that was the problem, but with no success. I also tried to change the gateway on my router to 10.0.56.1 (default was 0.0.0.0), but that was just a guess and also didn't change the results.

I tried to start all over again quite a few times, but I couldn't get the router to load the web login page.

One last thing: I managed to discover the main router's IP, but I don't have access to it, so I can't change anything on it.

I'm sorry if my post is too long, I just tried to be very clear from the start. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
narsilion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any ideas on how I could make this work?

Also, please let me know if I did something wrong, I tried my best after reading the rules.

Thanks in advance!
warkriss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Although I'm a complete beginner myself, I did try to connect to my main router as AP a few weeks ago and here are some things that I noticed you did differently:
* you chose a different subnet for your router from the main router. Why?
* you enabled WAN connection. Why?

Personally I would try to put my router on the same subnet as the main router, use it as a DHCP forwarder (with the main router's ip), use main router's IP as gateway.
So just a few simple things for you to try.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try disabling the SPI firewall on the Security tab also.

Another thought would be to do a MAC clone on the WAN side...set it to the MAC address of your laptop/desktop.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
warkriss wrote:
Personally I would try to put my router on the same subnet as the main router, use it as a DHCP forwarder (with the main router's ip), use main router's IP as gateway. So just a few simple things for you to try.

I started all over again and tried to use these settings, but still couldn't get it to work. Thank you very much for your help though! =)

warkriss wrote:
you chose a different subnet for your router from the main router. Why?

I was following this tutorial. It says "if your host AP is 192.168.1.x, then your repeater could be subnet 192.168.2.x or 192.168.69.1 or...any other unique subnet in your network". I don't know that much about networks, I was just following the tutorial. Mr. Green

warkriss wrote:
you enabled WAN connection. Why?

This time, I was following the instructions on this video. Actually, the only time when it almost worked was when I enabled this. When WAN is disabled, the web login page will not pop up.

redhawk0 wrote:
Try disabling the SPI firewall on the Security tab also. Another thought would be to do a MAC clone on the WAN side...set it to the MAC address of your laptop/desktop.

I tried that too, with no success. I'm not sure if I did the MAC part correctly, though.

I'm about to give up, I think I already spent almost 10 hours trying to make this work. A lot of times, for some reason, I lose access to the router after changing some setting and then I have to reset it and start all over again. This happens sometimes (but not everytime) when I change the router's IP, for example (yes, I'm using the new IP as the URL).

Any other suggestions? Am I following the wrong tutorial maybe?

Thanks again!
narsilion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any other thoughts? =)
narsilion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?

Thanks.
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
You won`t be able to repeat or route connection if your main network is configured as a secure hotspot with web login
[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: