Linksys Cisco E2500 (Slow internal file transfer speed issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Sona
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09    Post subject: Linksys Cisco E2500 (Slow internal file transfer speed issue Reply with quote
Hi
I did some testing with a few wireless N routers and then decided to buy a Linksys e 2500 as it was on a special for $66 in Australia.

The wireless routers i tested were (Belkin brand new model / All Used ones)
1. Netcomm N800n Fastest wireless transfer speed 9MBytes or 72 MBPS.
2. Dlink - Around 6MBytes/s or 48MBPS.
3. Belkin - Around 4-5 MBytes/sec

Did not test the Linksys before buying it.
4. Linksys E 2500 - around 5MBytes/s = 40MBPS.

After all this testing, got a new Linksys believing that a cisco device should have good quality.

My problems is that the connection speed on the device stays at 65MBPS whereas on the Netcomm / Dlink it used to be 130mbps. Not that this bothers me, however the file transfer speed matches the connection speed.

The router was placed at exactly the same location, file transfer was checked by transferring large file sizes.

Lan setup is

1. Belkin ADSL 2+ (Modem with Wireless b/g and Voip) only being used now as an ADSL Modem and VOIP service.

2. Cisco linksys e 2500.

3. Media centre PC wired connected to linksys e 2500.

4. Main PC (Connected wirelessly to the linksys). The network adapter is a DLINK DWA125 N150 adapter (2.4GHZ only). The distance between the wireless adapter and the wireless router is approximately 12 feet and there is direct line of sight.

5. IPAD.

5. Using 2.4GHZ as i dont have a 5GHZ adapter yet. Router is only on wireless N mode.

I was better off using a second hand Netcomm rather than a brand new Cisco router. The cisco router has 4 internal antennas, whereas the netcomm one had only 2 external antennas. This frustrates me to no end. I have not used the WRT firmware yet.My signal strength is excellent. Only problem is the slow internal transfer between the Main PC and the Media Centre PC. Main PC is Core i7 950 where as the Media Centre is a Core 2 Duo e6400GHZ with 4GB Ram. Both PCs running Windows 7 Ultimate (Main PC) , Professional (Media Centre PC).

My network knowledge is decent (UC Engineer - CCNP (R+S) + CCNA voice)

Q1. Is there any settings in the advanced Wireless mode for the Linksys that can make my internal file transfers faster.

http://x.x.x.x/Wireless_Advanced.asp

Q2. Will changing the antenna strength lead to a faster internal file transfer speed? Changing from the default of 28 to higher?
(https://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/tag/tweak-your-router/)

Q3. Once i have the DD firmware, if required can i go back to Linksys firmware(?)

Any help is highly appreciated.

Signal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.98 KB
 Viewed:  11559 Time(s)

Signal.jpg

Sponsor
Sona
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11    Post subject: If you're unable to achieve satisfactory performance, please Reply with quote
If you're unable to achieve satisfactory performance, please list all of this information in a forum thread:

Exact router model listed on the bottom sticker:E2500
Exact firmware build:1.0.04 build 1 Dec 26, 2011
Exact client adapter model: D-Link DWA-125 Wireless N 150 USB Adapter(rev.A2)
Exact client adapter driver version: 3.2.1.0 (Dated 28/04/2011)
Driver Provider D-Link Corporation
Which spectrum 2.4GHz or 5GHz: 2.4GHZ
Which channel:13
Channel width: Auto (as on 2.4GHZ can only select Auto( 20 or 40 MHZ) whereas on 5GHz could have selected 40MHz
Encryption settings: WPA2 Personal
Distance between the client and AP: 12 feet
Link rate (speed) of the client adapter listed in its connection status in your OS: 65 / 72 MBPS

Signal/Noise/SNR of the connection listed in the router's wireless status:

Type of materials between client and AP (wood, brick, metal, sheet-rock): Direct line of sight between D-Link USB adapter and AP - Distance 12 feet
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:38    Post subject: Re: If you're unable to achieve satisfactory performance, pl Reply with quote
Sona wrote:

Encryption settings: WPA2 Personal

That is not encryption, that is Authorisation type.
Which crypto did you use?
Bonded channels requires either no crypto or AES, nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is btw not the right place for a poll on stock firmware performance, that belongs in Cisco's forums.

Read the threads here instead about user experience on the router when running dd-wrt firmware.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Cisco modem only shows the wireless security as WPA2 Personal or Enterprise...

The reason i posted in this forum was to get feedback from people who had upgraded from Cisco to the DD-WRT firmware..

Guess i will have to flash it myself and then test!
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sona wrote:
The Cisco modem only shows the wireless security as WPA2 Personal or Enterprise...

The reason i posted in this forum was to get feedback from people who had upgraded from Cisco to the DD-WRT firmware..

Guess i will have to flash it myself and then test!

I have seen this problem before a couple of times..

First, check wireless settings and check 20/mhz channel first.. then you can experiment 40mhz channel.. You are using an atheros wifi card in your laptop and changing settings on the router that this device supports will affect performance... Such as advance wireless settings, afterburner, bluetooth co-existance mode, wireless channel selection, transmit/receive antenna. and mode... if you dont have any B clients you can change the mode to G/N mixed and nix out the b stuff.

On my E2500 wireless I have posted screenshots before I connect at 270/300mb/s link speed, and I have 100/100 mb internet I can get almost 70mb down and 25/30 up with a normal laptop with intel card and windows 7.

-Fractal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: