WRT160NL - Slow copying to Samba shared NAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
kachro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Detection wrote:
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:
OK, another strange discovery affecting upload speed to Samba NAS

I was playing around with IP Filter Settings in Administration > Management and changed it from Vegas to Westwood

My upload to NAS speed dropped from 8MB/s to 4-5MB/s

Tried a few different AVIs and speed remained 4-5MB/s

Changed it back to Vegas and Im back up to 8MB/s again

Not sure how or why that affects it, but it seems to

hello, I'm kinda lost at that....what do you mean you changed Vegas for the other one? I checked my router's firmware (also wrt160nl) v2.4 sp2 and in the ip filter it only shows numeric values and nothing about tcp congestion methods....btw, I am getting transfers of 1.2 mbytes/sec tops. Razz

Ah, don't worry about that, I have had it back on Vegas (Default) for a long time now

The main thing to get the good speeds is to format the HDD to EXT4 in Linux before connecting it to your NAS

Windows can still read it once it is connected as it is just a network drive and the router does the reading/writing

I'm running this firmware
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/01-01-2013-r20453/linksys_wrt160nl/wrt160nl-firmware.bin

Thanks for the reply man...I upgraded to the same fw you're using (mine was from 2010!!!), and the problema I am having now is that when I copy large files (such as MKV's) the router reboots!!! when copy xls, or files as such it Works just fine. I formatted the NAS using ext4 as you pointed, and also used ext3...but either way it's not working.

Any clues?

Thanks
Sponsor
Detection
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:

I was playing around with IP Filter Settings in Administration > Management and changed it from Vegas to Westwood

hello, I'm kinda lost at that....what do you mean you changed Vegas for the other one? I checked my router's firmware (also wrt160nl) v2.4 sp2 and in the ip filter it only shows numeric values and nothing about tcp congestion methods....btw, I am getting transfers of 1.2 mbytes/sec tops. Razz

Ah, don't worry about that, I have had it back on Vegas (Default) for a long time now

The main thing to get the good speeds is to format the HDD to EXT4 in Linux before connecting it to your NAS

Windows can still read it once it is connected as it is just a network drive and the router does the reading/writing

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/01-01-2013-r20453/linksys_wrt160nl/wrt160nl-firmware.bin

Thanks for the reply man...I upgraded to the same fw you're using (mine was from 2010!!!), and the problema I am having now is that when I copy large files (such as MKV's) the router reboots!!! when copy xls, or files as such it Works just fine. I formatted the NAS using ext4 as you pointed, and also used ext3...but either way it's not working.

Any clues?

Thanks

Hmm, not sure, did you factory reset the router after flashing it ?

I can copy any size file to mine and its fine, the way I have it set up is an IDE to USB adapter/cable connected to an 80GB EXT4 Laptop HDD > USB Router > Wired to PC LAN

I set up a Samba Share on the router to share the HDD over the network and I copy to and from it via the network

Here is my Samba settings if it helps
http://localhostr.com/files/yCOxAr2/1.PNG

Last edited by Detection on Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:37; edited 1 time in total
kachro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Detection wrote:
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:

Any clues?

Thanks

I can copy any size file to mine and its fine, the way I have it set up is an IDE to USB adapter/cable connected to an 80GB EXT4 Laptop HDD > USB Router > Wired to PC LAN

I set up a Samba Share on the router to share the HDD over the network and I copy to and from it via the network

Great!..I changed the path to /tmp/mnt....and now I get almost 10mb/s..one las question...I'm concerned about the /tmp thing (I have no knowledge of Linux)...am I storing my files at a "temp" location?
Detection
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:
kachro wrote:
Detection wrote:

Any clues?

Thanks

Great!..I changed the path to /tmp/mnt....and now I get almost 10mb/s..one las question...I'm concerned about the /tmp thing (I have no knowledge of Linux)...am I storing my files at a "temp" location?

Good stuff Smile

And no, so long as you copy them to the NAS folders they will write to the HDD

The /tmp part is just a temp link that Linux creates while the router is up I think, tells the router where to look for the real HDD

Im not great with Linux either but I've been using this setup for quite a while now and all my files save perfectly fine to the NAS, never lost anything ever Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: