Bypass QoS using VLAN

slicped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34    Post subject: Bypass QoS using VLAN Reply with quote
I am using OpenVPN over DD-WRT, I need to know about VLAN, maybe this is not the question to VLAN setup but I am sure you people can advise me. OpenVPN
router is connected to DD-WRT (D-Link DIR-615) which has a bandwidth QoS enabled about 50% of the total bandwidth from the main router(WRT54G2). This D-link DIR-615 is connected to one of LAN port of WRT54G.

My question is whether I can create a VLAN on D-Link DIR-615 ethernet port 4(which is connected to the WAN port of the OpenVPN router to avoid this bandwidth throttling. Since creating a VLAN on eth04 would make a direct connection to WAN port of the same router.

Please advise?
Sponsor
Markus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can't easily bypass qos.

one possible option (in case you own a dir-615d) would be to kick out the wrt54g2 and use the 615 as gateway with qos and enabled openvpn.
Course the 615d comes with enhanced qos-features you can use an additional qos-option to prioritize the vpn-traffic over all other data flows.

This option is not present in the gui right now so you have to set it by hand.
In case your tunnel device is tun0 execute the following commands on the routers shell to stuck all traffic flowing through this tunnel-device into the hightes class:

Code:

nvram set svqos_vpns="tun0 100 |"
nvram commit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: