how to avoid using Actiontec port forwarding

three_jeeps
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 15:53    Post subject: how to avoid using Actiontec port forwarding Reply with quote
Because of the location of my Actiontec router the wireless connectivity is horrible. (I know of many ways to move it but there are impediments that I don’t want to deal with for a variety of reasons). More importantly, the port forwarding rule that Verizon enforced on the router is so overly constrained making it almost useless. Specifically, they only allow forwarding of a port only once! I have 3 wireless network cameras, each with a http server in them. If I create a forwarding rule that forwards http requests to 192.168.1.50 (static assignment), port 8080, the Verizon router does not let me create another rule for forwarding http requests to the other camera at 192.168.1.55(static assignment), port 8080. The Verizon router replies that it can’t create the rule because of a port conflict. Even if I change the port of the second device, it still tells me the rule has already been used and there is a conflict...

One solution I am considering is to use my Linksys dd-wrt router as a secondary router connected to the primary (Actiontec ) via a LAN-LAN hardwired connection. The Actiontec is the primary router at 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. and will handle DHCP. The Linksys router (secondary) will be fixed at address 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. and DHCP will be disabled. The secondary router will handle all wireless connections via static port assignments. The primary (actiontec) router will be configured to have a static connection to the secondary (Linksys) router.

So my questions are:
If I configure my port forwarding rules on the secondary router, do I need to do any port forwarding on the primary router? Recall that only the secondary router will handle the wireless connections from the cameras webserver.
If I have to do some port forwarding configuration on the primary (Actiontec) router, what do I have to do?
If this approach does not eliminate creating port forwarding rules for the secondary router, what is another approach to take? The goal is to eliminate having to use the Actiontec port forward rules (and the crappy UI that goes along with it).

Because the Actiontec provides connections to my set top boxes (STB), I can't replace it without major headaches.
Thanks for your insight....
-J
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: