WORKING - DIR-615 D4 wireless repeater bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bhartman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 13:11    Post subject: WORKING - DIR-615 D4 wireless repeater bridge Reply with quote
I know I had quite a bit of trouble trying to get this to work and the latest brainslayer build fixed it and made it so simple. Hopefully this can help.

How to:

If you are still running the stock firmware download the factory webflash from the below link otherwise if you are already running dd-wrt just download the normal webflash.

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/03-19-12-r18777/dlink-dir615d/

Ok I am assuming you have already done a factory reset and are working from scratch. This is really easy with the firmware listed above.

Go to 192.168.1.1 and log in.

Go to the wireless tab.

Choose Repeater Bridge under wireless mode.
Match your SSID and channel settings exactly to the hub you will be connecting to and click save. Make sure bridged is selected.

Go to the Wireless Security tab and match these to your main router exactly and click save.

Now go to setup>basic setup. Choose a local IP in the same subnet that is not being used as your main router. If your main router is 192.168.1.1 then as long as it is not in use 192.168.1.2 will work. Assuming your ip is in this range the subnet will be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway and local dns will be 192.168.1.1.

Now save and apply settings. My router immediately connected and both extended the wireless range but also the LAN ports worked and I was able to use the internet. Very simple.

I have to say thank you for this latest firmware update. Before I was able to get an IP and everything but never able to connect. This latest update makes it so simple. Hopefully this helps some other people.
Sponsor
aro030
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 18:52    Post subject: Repeater Bridge WHR-G300N Reply with quote
After many tries, finally managed to get RB working properly. This latest firmware (r18777)works like a charm. Just follow instructions from user bhartman.
freylin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing, I have a question.
What is the TX rate for RB mode? I have a buffalo 300N device as main router. and have 615D as RB device(install ddwrt 18777 on both devices).
I tried to run FTP from main router side to RB side, and got only 1-2MB/s. Tried many things I can find from this forum, but no luck at all.

Is this normal? (I don't have another N device to try, hard to tell this is normal or not.)
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having real problems with this bloody router..Only just bought it. and already the LAN ports have died.
Have been working on it for two days and so i was thinking that since I can at least get access to it via wireless, I could try using it as a RB.
It is a DIR300verb with 18777 firmware. have tried many others and have come to the conclusion that it is a LAN hardware issue in the router than broken firmware.

SO I am having to set up all the setps via Wireless connection before rebooting to get RP access. So far still no luck

have tried the Wiki Article and now your post ,but still no luck

I anyone has any ideas of the order to do things to get it to work just as a RB I would be very gratefull.
This router could die soon, I am feeling the growing urge to beat the s**t out of it with the back of the chair Wink
hello30
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I want to try your method by re-flashing using the brainslayer version, however, I really cant figure out how to update to that version? I go on the web interface of the router but cant find how to install a newer/different firmware! Please help!

Thanks Smile
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do like I did "hello30" . I have only been hear for a few days too, and have done lots of reading.
I have still asked a few dumb questions too, but I at least managed to find out how to upgrade the router,
Go up to the top of this page, and start at the Wiki, and also possibly Threads called Peacock Thread..lots of info in them.
Firmware update is I seem to remember is under a sub tab of Administration.

Brainslayer d/loads are on his ftp directory link at top of this thread.

Stat at the Wiki

Here is a link , that I found in the wiki. you need to go through a few levels to get to this link
The rout fomr Wiki front page was
Install
1.1 Is Your Router Supported
Supported Devices
3.27 D-Link
DIR-600 link second line in the D-Link table..RHS
then the re direct link
divyekhanna
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I'm sorry to revive an old post, but I want to ask something specific (bhartman):

When you flashed with build 18777 of DD-WRT, did the globe light on your router turn Orange? or did it turn Green? or did it not turn on at all? Also, before installing DD-WRT, was your globe light lit or not? if lit, then what colour?

I am also trying to make a wireless bridge with my DIR-615 E4. I am able to make the bridge and wired Ethernet clients on the secondary router (DIR615) are having internet connectivity whereas, the wireless clients on the secondary do not have internet connectivity. The Globe LED on my router is lit Orange.

Thank,
Divye.
cinereus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have successfully got this to work with my DIR-615 D2 by following the instructions in the OP exactly.

I have one major problem which seems somewhat common: every time I reboot the router, the LAN ports break. I don't get granted an IP. The only way to fix it is to do a reset and put in all the settings again.

I spent hours last night trying to troubleshoot this but can't find any way around it. Any ideas?

(Another issue is that I can't have a virtual wifi interface for the router like I usually have with repeater bridges on dd-wrt and the ping times are abysmal when going through the repeater).
sidereal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 13:07    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote
I also got this to work very easily on my VirginMedia (ISP) supplied D-link D-615 rev D2 following Bhartman's simple instructions above.

It has been languishing in a box in a corner for over a year, but now is extending my wireless coverage seamlessly to the garden!

Thanks!
cinereus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guess nobody has any solution?

What about choosing which router to connect to wirelessly by MAC address under this set-up. i.e. force connection to the reapeater rather than the main router or vice versa?
CaramelUK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:53    Post subject: DIR615 - Client Bridge Mode Reply with quote
Hi

I have an old VM D-Link router that I am trying to set up as a wireless bridge. Basically my main router is upstairs, and I want to configure the D-Link to pick up signal downstairs, so I can use the LAN ports to connect my Sky+ box. I used the stable versions of software, and my main router was seen, but could get online. So I tried the version listed: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/04-16-10-r14289/dlink-dir615d/dlink-dir615d-factory-webflash.bin

I have watched a few videos and they all say to choose Wireless Mode 'Client Bridge'. Which is not avilable in the drop down list. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it just isn't a valid option. The options 'Client' and 'Repeater bridge' are available.

If anyone can offer any guidance would be greatly appriciated.
cleverblaggers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:47    Post subject: Cheers!! Reply with quote
Even though this is my first post, I have been using DD-WRT for about four years now and I thought I would congratulate the OP for providing clear and accurate information. Like others, I had a DIR-615 hanging around and have spent many a frustrating night trying to get it to work. After the ease of the Linksys WRT56G, I thought I was invincible!! But I'm not a quitter and have often come back and tried to get this pile of doggy do to work. And now thankfully I have and, yes, it was oh so simple.... eventually!

Think I am going to celebrate by buying the ASUS RT-N16. Don't think I will have a lot of trouble setting that one up, now, will I?! Laughing
bob8
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just like to add bhartman's simplified instructions work too for my DIR-615 rev. D2.

I also used a later firmware:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/dlink-dir615d/

I'm still testing but looking good so far.
MeGuinness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
tried everything with no luck guys ,it does not work!!!
i followed the instructions on this post ,after applying the settings i cannot access the dir615 anymore using 192.168.1.2 ,so i have to reset it.

helppppppppppppp
rayman575
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 22:40    Post subject: d-link DIR-615 D4 as wireless repeater SUCCESS Reply with quote
I have just today managed to successfully set up my virgin media D-link DIR-615 D4 router as a wireless repeater. (After an entire weekend).

I am using a Virgin Media D-Link DIR-615 D5 as my primary router, which unfortunately cannot be flashed with dd-wrt at present. It doesn't matter that it can't be flashed though as the virgin firmware is quite sufficient for use as a primary router. I am using a virgin media D-link DIR-615 D4 router as the wireless repeater. This has been flashed with the latest version of dd-wrt.

I would recommend upgrading your dd-wrt firmware to the latest stable version (r19519): (this has all options including repeater bridge)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2012%2F07-20-12-r19519%2Fdlink-dir615d/

As per the advice found on other pages around this site, make sure you use the factory-webflash version if you are flashing your d-link router with dd-wrt firmware for the first time, otherwise just use the webflash version.

Once you have the latest dd-wrt firmware version on your d-link DIR-615 D4 router, have a good read of the following two links:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72478&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

These two guides vary slightly. They have been put together by people who have fantastic knowledge of this stuff, and I applaud them for taking the time to share their knowledge. I will make a few points based on my experience during a weekend of trial and error to get it right for my routers.

Firstly, under step 6 of the dd-wrt Repeater_Bridge guide, DO NOT create a Virtual Interface. I found that when the repeater router (the d-link D4) was broadcasting its own network name (or SSID) independently of the primary router (the d-link D5) through a virtual interface it caused conflict with the primary router's wifi signal and subsequently neither of them worked properly and they did not communicate. (This happened regardless of the Virtual Interface SSID being the same or different to the primary router SSID).

I simply made sure the Physical Wireless Interface on the repeater router was exactly the same as the primary router, and I did not enter anything under Virtual Interfaces.

I set the primary router to mixed frequency (Auto, 20/40 Mhz) and the repeater router (the d-link D4) to 20Mhz.

I had both routers on mixed wireless network mode (b/g/n), and both operating on wireless channel 1 (2412Mhz).

I did not disable security during the setup process, BUT I made sure both routers (primary and repeater) used WPA2-AES, not TKIP.

Both routers must have exactly the same SSID and passphrase/shared key, as when you have completed setup of your repeater router it's wifi signal will merge with the primary router's signal to become part of the same wireless network (sorry I can't think of a better way of saying that). Essentially your devices (laptops/smartphones) will not see two separate wireless networks (i.e. "Router" and "Repeater Router") as the guide suggests, instead they will only see "Router", and as you move around the house (or wherever) your device will lock onto whichever router (primary or repeater) is giving the strongest signal. Remember, they will become two routers broadcasting as part of the SAME wireless network.

As per the guides, make sure that DNSMasq on the repeater router is disabled (this can be found under "Services>Services"), and the repeater router's operating mode is 'router' and the Dynamic Routing Interface is 'LAN and WLAN' (these are found under "Setup>Advanced Routing").

Follow everything else in the guides, taking particular care with IP addresses.

I also had problems with reconnecting to my repeater router after changing the IP address. I suspect that the reason for this was because I had not correctly configured the two routers to communicate and so the DHCP server in the primary router (the one that allocates IP addresses automatically) was not available to allocate a new IP address to my computer after the repeater router was changed. Remember the repeater router has just been told NOT to allocate IP addresses as it's DHCP server has just been disabled (which happens automatically when put in repeater bridge mode). Subsequently, if the primary and repeater routers have not successfully connected, then the repeater is incapable of giving your computer a new IP address to communicate with it after it's local IP address is changed.

So, consider that after you hit "Apply settings" and the routers communicate successfully, IP addresses are allocated to all laptops/smartphones by the primary router regardless of which router they are connected to, because remember the two routers will have merged to become one wifi network.

If you have not successfully configured the routers to communicate, you can re-communicate with the repeater router by re-allocating a static IP address to your computer that is in the same subnet as the repeater router's new local IP address (that's the new local IP address you just gave it under step 8 of the "repeater_bridge guide" after hitting "Apply settings").

For example, the primary router (the d-link D5 in my case) has a default IP address of 192.168.0.1, so the repeater router (the D4) had to be changed from 192.168.1.1 (the dd-wrt default) to 192.168.0.2 so it would work successfully as the repeater (bear in mind that ".0.1 and 0.2" are the same subnet, but ".1.1 and .0.2" are not).

If after hitting "Apply settings" the primary and repeaters have not connected properly, you need to assign a new static IP address to your computer that is on the same subnet as the new local IP address you just assigned the repeater router.

So, if the repeater has just been changed to 192.168.0.2, then you can go to your computers IP address settings (google "allocate static IP address in windows 7" for further advice on how to do this) and allocate it a static IP address of 192.168.0.3, and then connect to the repeater router with an ethernet cable. The computer is now on the same subnet as the repeater router, and you should be able to connect to the repeater router using its new local IP address of 192.168.0.2

From here you can proceed to modify the repeater settings, or if you prefer to start again, do a factory reboot (under "Adminstration>factory defaults").

I followed the guides with the exception of creating a Virtual Interface (under step 6). Having a virtual interface seems to be the biggest downfall when trying to configure the D-link DIR-615 D4 as a repeater. It seems the latest dd-wrt firmware means you don't need to create a virtual interface. Mine is working well, signal strengths and bandwidth seem great.

I hope all this makes some sense.

Shout me if you need anything clarifying.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: