new feature - Multiple WAN DHCP addresses

fbc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:01    Post subject: new feature - Multiple WAN DHCP addresses Reply with quote
My ISP limits every IP to 200 connections, so connect your modem to a router, and connect-up your android phones, WII(for netflix) your desktop and your girlfriends laptop; you'll quickly discover that you are getting 404 errors because you've run out of connections.

My solution was to eliminate the router and just connect my modem to a switch with a stand alone AP. That way every device would pickup it's own IP from the ISPs network and solve my problem.

But how cool could it be if DDWRT could pickup the normal DHCP IPs, then run a script that would ping for unused IPs in the same range and statically assign 4 more IPs to the WAN to spread(round-robin) the requests from them. So you would not ever run into the need to eliminate your router from the equation.
Sponsor
dannysauer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why wouldn't you just set the router up as a DHCP forwarder (or disable DHCP all together) and turn off NAT? Then you'd still have a firewall, rather than having everything stuck right on the open Internet, but DHCP requests and IP assignments would come from the ISP.
fbc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you recommend a guide for doing this? if so, is it possible to do on the mini version? By turning off NAT do you mean switching from gateway to router?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: