Router keeps rebooting netgear R7000P

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cobra1582
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 22:22    Post subject: Router keeps rebooting netgear R7000P Reply with quote
Router Model Netgear R7000P
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M kongac (05/31/1Cool

upgraded to dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin

then hit the problem of all lights cycling on and off in a repeating pattern

am gettting a tll of 100 when ping the router which according to the peacock thread means I should be able to tftp.

Have tried but that fails, did notice it suggest flashing with the small possiible verison first but don't know what the small fireware would be for this router.

any help would very much be apreaited

thanks
#

damien
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
You’ll have to use serial recovery. I have my doubts you’ll be able able to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bricked my R7000P. No luck using TFTP or a TTL UART converter, but following section II of this guide worked great for me:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=42046

NMRPFLASH

Glad I found it.
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
the44chris wrote:
I just bricked my R7000P. No luck using TFTP or a TTL UART converter, but following section II of this guide worked great for me:

NMRPFLASH

Glad I found it.

How did you manage to brick it? Good to know so others avoid this!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
basically he didn't do his homework to read how to do
a first flash and flashed his router with
dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin file instead of a .CHK
so for first flash from stock file always use .CHK file first...!!!

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn’t get that. I read it that he was already on dd-wrt and used the bin to upgrade.
That’s why I said he probably wouldn’t be able to fix it.
Boot loop issue on these is the same as the r8500.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
on my open router sight the link that gets you to kongs bin files still have http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/ the file for r7000p posted with wrong id makes your r7000p into a r6400
the44chris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
basically he didn't do his homework to read how to do
a first flash and flashed his router with
dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin file instead of a .CHK
so for first flash from stock file always use .CHK file first...!!!

If this was directed at me, that's not correct.

I flashed from stock Netgear firmware to Kong's "dd-wrt.K3_R7000P.chk"

After that was done, I did a factory reset through the GUI. Then I tried to update through DD-WRT GUI to Kong's "dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin", both with and without the reset to factory defaults checked.

The interface was unresponsive. I waited 20+ minutes each time before doing a nice, calm 10 second shut-down, boot up using the power button.

Each time, the .bin file threw my router into a unrecoverable boot-up/shut-down loop.

I followed the Kong side of the r7000P wiki as close as I know how.

What did I miss?
qsl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You followed it correctly. dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin causes a boot loop, at least in the newest R7000P units. dd-wrt.K3_R7000P.chk at least works. It isn't clear what the difference is from the "upgrade".
the44chris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to know.

I had at least a few bugs with the dd-wrt.K3_R7000P.chk file, too. The 5GHz channel couldn't be set to anything faster than N I think. That's why I kept trying the .bin upgrade.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
KK... my mistake... i realised it later but anyway....
not bad to read my comment too there is some light in it...anyway...

on/off topic i helped a friend to flash 7000P with a Kong's build and was ok don't remember the build number but it was from the test folder around mid oct i believe...everything went smooth...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
NP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
the44chris wrote:

NMRPFLASH

Glad I found it.

How did I get to the bootloop? Bad combo, update left router with an orange power light, plus an unfortunate power failure at the same moment, sent it into a bootloop.
Ping response TTL 100. No luck with TFTP, however serial did manage to see all the steps up to loading firmware.
Waiting to long to load firmware(which was corupted aka power orange light) was forcing a reboot.
I had no success to break the bootloop using the serial.
Into an end I did find the above link with the very well written guide to follow.
I'm a novice in regards.
The guide was written for R6400, however it worked spot on with R7000P.
sloth.nyc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

If this was directed at me, that's not correct.

I flashed from stock Netgear firmware to Kong's "dd-wrt.K3_R7000P.chk"

After that was done, I did a factory reset through the GUI. Then I tried to update through DD-WRT GUI to Kong's "dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin", both with and without the reset to factory defaults checked.

This happened to me twice! Factory reset in the dd-wrt GUI bricks the router. It'll seem ok but then once you reboot, the router it's hosed. It'll respond to pings but I was never successful in tftp flash. Orange lights will blink and then it'll randomly reboot. I had to replace the unit.

The second router I also experienced the 5ghz wifi not working problem. The router refused to go back to stock which is when I did a factory reset This confirmed that the reset caused the brick.

I've flashed so many previous routers and this is the only model/firmware I've experience a unrecoverable (without cracking it open) brick.

I havent tried installing dd-wrt for fear of bricking a 3rd :-\
qsl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had trouble uploading the original firmware with the TFTP client I was using. I found this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

and got Tftpd64 by Ph. Jounin (which also is a client) and was able to get back to the original firware to start all over again.

Unlike the directions in the link, I used the serial connection and interrupted the reboot for the prompt and started the tftpd on the router manually before starting the tftp client put.

EDIT: Two additional critical things.

I couldn't attach the serial connection until the 5 lights went out after a cold start or it would hang. I attached the serial connection quickly after and pressed control-c to catch it before the memory load was complete and get the prompt.

I also couldn't load the Netgear firmware from dd-wrt. I could only crack open the case and use the serial port to start the tftp as above.

Since the 5G wasn't working, I just went back to the Netgear firmware and am currently using it. Gave up on dd-wrt for now. Performance was much better.
Vanger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47    Post subject: strange behavior, please advise Reply with quote
Good day! Have been a long-time reader here without registration, used dd-wrt on 3 generations of my linksys routers at home.

But the current case puzzled me enough to register and ask for help as I am clearly lacking some background knowledge and experience. So, to business.

I have in my possession 2 Netgear R7000P routers, both came with 'solid amber light on'. (Both came alive to stock firmware versions somewhere around 1.02xxx number after 10 second boot reset from the pdf guide from R6400)
I was asked to assist in putting DD-wrt on them, why was not a question to be asked Smile

So I started with reading the posts and wiki's, downloaded nmrpflash for potential unbricking, etc. And went on step by step for Kong's build, starting with
Initial flash: dd-wrt.K3_R7000P.chk (Kong).Took the build number 37985 as latest.
Then -> Upgrade: dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin

And bang, here I got a boot loop.
The bootloop was semi-easily broken with nmrpflash (well, I was kind of prepared).

But the problem was (as I found out later in the night) that it seems that after a few back-and-forths with various versions of dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM releases the router does not accept any ***.chk releases that are kind of safe and approved Sad(

I still can relatively easily upload a firmware via nmrpflash but it does not hold after start up. Stock firmware upload and restart has same symptoms..
I kept one of the routers in the bootloop mode as a kind of 'backup' and put it aside.

The other one has at the moment - no bootloop but it has only one light on after boot - wifi on/off button on the front. After power on it goes as rolling illumination, then steady amber power then power light goes down and wifi button lights up and stays that way, stuck.

As I haven't found such symptoms described together with a working nmrpflash upload - I am asking for some advice from experienced users on how to get router back to life..

P.S. Am I correct assuming that if nmrpflash works then USB-ttl serial cable is not required and I just need to find a good build?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: