Netgear WNDR3400v2 N600

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
CoreyX64
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got a WNDR3400v2 to experiment with. Upon flashing this firmware onto the device (using the 30-30-30 method), most of the normal/basic features seem to work without any issues. Don't use OpenVPN so I can't comment on how that works, but there is one glaring problem that is a deal breaker for me: virtual APs do not work with any form of encryption.

I was planning on setting up 2 secure networks along with one guest network. The guest network works fine as a VAP since it doesn't have an encryption key. The first network works fine because its a hardware AP, and not virtual. The third however does not. I have also added a key to the guest network to verify- it too breaks the VAP completely.

I would really like to see this developed by BrainSlayer- for some reason his builds just work. Yes, they have issues sometimes, and on occasion updates fix things while breaking other things in the process. But overall, they are the most stable, and have been very reliable on all of the routers I've used them on. Unfortunately, this build seems half-baked. If I can't figure it out on my own, I will probably end up rolling back to the stock netgear firmware.
Sponsor
ghettocruiser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, this is going to sound really dumb maybe. And I hated to ask it...but figured Ide give it a shot.

I just got a WNDR3400v2 for free, and my main goal was to use it as a repeater. I have a decent set up at home, and everything works well. I like to use my phone on wifi when Im working in the yard or cutting grass, and I think Im JUST out of range for things like streaming music when Im at the back of my property.

I figured, free router, upgrade it, and use it as a repeater.

Im not super up on all the terms for networking...but is a virtual AP (access point?) the same as a repeater? Or is this different.

In other words, if I install DD-WRT from this thread onto the router, will I still be able to use it as a repeater with a password?

Thanks! This forum is great and Ive been lurking for a while...would love to contribute, and maybe I can after I do some experimenting.

Justin
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghettocruiser wrote:
So, this is going to sound really dumb maybe. And I hated to ask it...but figured Ide give it a shot.

I just got a WNDR3400v2 for free, and my main goal was to use it as a repeater. I have a decent set up at home, and everything works well. I like to use my phone on wifi when Im working in the yard or cutting grass, and I think Im JUST out of range for things like streaming music when Im at the back of my property.

I figured, free router, upgrade it, and use it as a repeater.

Im not super up on all the terms for networking...but is a virtual AP (access point?) the same as a repeater? Or is this different.

In other words, if I install DD-WRT from this thread onto the router, will I still be able to use it as a repeater with a password?

Thanks! This forum is great and Ive been lurking for a while...would love to contribute, and maybe I can after I do some experimenting.

Justin

Read this http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
ghettocruiser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the link! I have a good idea how they worked, was just concerned after reading the first post on this page as it sounded very similar to what I was hoping to do. I'de def want a password set up on the extender.

Eh, router was free so I'm just diving in tonight.

thanks!!
CoreyX64
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Virtual access points are just secondary WiFi networks run using the same wireless chip in the router. A long time ago routers were only capable of a single SSID/Network Name, but most modern ones are capable of more than that. (usually about 4). You may have seen routers advertised with "guest network" capability- this guest network is a virtual AP in itself. It's just a separate network that you have independent control over. (In the case of guest, you only would want guests to have internet access, without accessing your secure LAN)

Repeating is very different. The link Malachi posted gives plenty of detail on the specifics of how repeating works and the various schemes in which it can be implemented. I only wanted to explain what VAPs are and how they can be useful.
ghettocruiser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well now I feel like a goof. I never actually clicked on "repeater" in that link haha. Checked it out on my phone and didn't realize they were links. I was like, "this really doesn't have much detail" haha. LOTS of info there! Perfect...thanks!

J
ghettocruiser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I successfully flashed DD-WRT onto the router last night. It was a piece of cake, and appears to function perfectly with the above file. Only thing I couldnt figure out was how to connect to the router via a wired connection. Not sure what the deal was there...I thought I could do that without the router being hooked to the internet.

Either way, I was playing with the repeater settings. I was able to get things somewhat set up, but it keeps making two WLAN SSIDs. One I can connect to, but has no internet access, and the other I cant connect to. I feel its a security issue. Going to redo a 30/30/30 and try again with all security turned off. Then impliement security.

But the DD-WRT works awesome!!

J.
JaimeZX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any updates here? I'm planning to do some traveling during the second half of the year and want to set up a VPN to my home network.

Right now I'm running DD-WRT on a DIR-615, and it's working great for my home routing needs, but it only has 4MB of RAM and you need 8MB for VPN, I understand.

Fortunately I have a spare router, the WNDR3400v2, with 8MB. Of course I find this thread that only has an unsupported port of DD-WRT. I know some of you have successfully set up an OpenVPN *client* but has anyone set up a server?

Thanks!
JaimeZX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump. Anyone on OpenVPN?
cheeber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 0:10    Post subject: wndr3400 v2 Reply with quote
Just inherited a wndr3400 v2. The supported router database says this is work in progress. It seems from a partial reading of this string, that there may be versions of ddwrt that will work, at least partially.

I am somewhat new to this - here are my questions:
- would you recommend trying ddwrt on this router?
- would both wireless radios and usb work?
- which version ddwrt would you suggest (and can you point to this file?)

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide.
mdeangelo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
JaimeZX wrote:
Any updates here? I'm planning to do some traveling during the second half of the year and want to set up a VPN to my home network.

Just a quick side question... What do you want to do with your VPN? An ssh tunnel can do a lot of things that VPN can do, and it might be easier to set up. For example, I can access a desktop machine at home using VNC (for Mac and Unix) or RDP (Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop) over a VPN tunnel really easily.
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
You can download latest DD-WRT firmware of WNDR3400v2 from http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/44198/DD-WRT-for-NETGEAR-WNDR3400v2/

@thathagata - hello - i've used your firmware above (K26 from feb 2013) and there are issues with lan mac address. do you have any updates?

@anyone - have you tried the BS builds in the 3.9 family?
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/07-24-2013-r22118/netgear-wndr3700v2/

thank you for any information!
JaimeZX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
mdeangelo wrote:
JaimeZX wrote:

Just a quick side question... What do you want to do with your VPN? An ssh tunnel can do a lot of things that VPN can do, and it might be easier to set up. For example, I can access a desktop machine at home using VNC (for Mac and Unix) or RDP (Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop) over a VPN tunnel really easily.
Too late. Travelling now. Sad

But really I just wanted access to files on my home machine. *sigh*

Thanks for your inputs!
soxrok2212
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47    Post subject: Install and uninstall instructions. Reply with quote
Download the firmware from openwrt and download the official netgear firmwareInstall and uninstall instructions. Install: 1- 30-30-30 reset. For those of you who do not know what that is... http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30. 2- log into router bye typing 192.168.1.1 into web browser. Locate update firmware and select the dd-wrt.chk file. Wait about 5 minute for the whole process to complete. OPTIONAL- after the installation completes, do another 30-30-30 reset. You will now have dd-wrt! Uninstall: 1- 30-30-30 reset. 2- log in and locate firmware update and select netgear's firmware then sart the update. It says it will take 5 minutes but it won't. OPTIONAL- do another 30-30-30 reset after the process completes. Be sure not it interrupt the update during install or uninstall as you may end up with a brick! Good luck!
nospam2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 17:55    Post subject: Re: Install and uninstall instructions. Reply with quote
soxrok2212 wrote:
Download the firmware from openwrt and download the official netgear firmwareInstall and uninstall instructions. Install: 1- 30-30-30 reset. For those of you who do not know what that is... http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30. 2- log into router bye typing 192.168.1.1 into web browser. Locate update firmware and select the dd-wrt.chk file. Wait about 5 minute for the whole process to complete. OPTIONAL- after the installation completes, do another 30-30-30 reset. You will now have dd-wrt! Uninstall: 1- 30-30-30 reset. 2- log in and locate firmware update and select netgear's firmware then sart the update. It says it will take 5 minutes but it won't. OPTIONAL- do another 30-30-30 reset after the process completes. Be sure not it interrupt the update during install or uninstall as you may end up with a brick! Good luck!

Is something missing here. Download what from openwrt? And why would openwrt have a file called dd-wrt.chk? And why would openwrt be releasing dd-wrt versions? Can someone please clarify this? Thanks.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: