Linksys (Cisco) E2000 cooling mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Scirocco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 21:20    Post subject: Linksys (Cisco) E2000 cooling mod Reply with quote
I bought two E2000 primarily for OpenVPN host and client routers. They are also serving as a dual wifi access point. Because of these multiple tasks and the threads I saw concerning heat problems, I decided to make some changes to these devices to make them run a little cooler.

When I received these routers I quickly noted that cooling them was not considered a priority by the designers. So it's a good thing I had invested years ago in a Dremel tool, rechargeable drill and a good set of bits.

First, I observed the cover of the case appeared the perfect dome to catch and retain heat from the chipset. So I removed the top cover and cut two one by one inch openings in it. I glued a plastic mesh over the opening from the inside (so as to not look to hill billy). This would also server to keep wandering fingers out.

Next I operated the router for about one hour and using my IR thermometer noted two chips on the board getting very hot. VERY BAD! So I relocated the existing small heat sink to the other hot chip that happened to also be running cooler. I then installed a much larger heat sink to the hotter of the two chips. This was done using Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (good stuff).

The last change I made was to enlarge many of the circular vent holes in the bottom of the case. Simply use a drill bit that is larger than the existing hole.

Pictures will be coming.
Sponsor
Senzar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 15:10    Post subject: e2000 router cooling Reply with quote
I have several of he pancake Linksys routers such as e2000 which can run hot. I tend to let it sit on the ground under my desk.

A simple mod will install legs to keep the router 3/4" off the ground. I picked up plastic Leg Tips which look like bottle caps and attached them to the four corners of the bottom of the router with double side picture mounting adhesive tape. Now there is enough clearance under the router for air circulation. All heat is dissipated from the bottom of the router which has several holes. The leg tips can be picked up at any hardware store for $1.50 and I picked them up at Home Depot. The ones I picked up is made by Shepherd Hardware Products, and 1" size. The part #89109 and the bar code is 3900309109. The other alternatie is to use 3/4" pvc pipe end cap such as Genoa p/n 5057 and the bar code 3856150157. Another easy alternative is to use ordinary bottle caps which have top flat surface which should cost nothing.

Wondering why Cisco did not think of providing the legs. Try the mod and you will keep the router cool.
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pictures??
texnnyc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159389

I used a metal mesh bookend from Staples to keep the unit completely surrounded by air. No overheating at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: