WNR2000v2 Recovery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Plantronik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48    Post subject: WNR2000v2 Recovery? Reply with quote
Hi all,

Tried updating to the latest release for this router (18946, I used the file "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin") from the previous December release. I've flashed quite a few different routers, countless times and have never had an issue... Until now apparently!

I'm using Windows 7. Tried TFTP2 & Router Tools. The router is pingable, I get a TTL 100 response 1-4 times and then it goes back to Request timeout/host unreachable.

I tried using TFTP2 about 30+ times at different times now with no luck (server unreachable). Even had the command prompt window open with a constant ping to see when the TTL 100 response popped up (around 4 seconds). Still no luck. I am trying to flash it with the dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR2000v2.chk file. Is this correct, or is there something else? I also tried the "management mode" with the reset button countless times. Same result.

Not sure what I could be missing, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction (really hoping I don't have to go the JTAG route considering it's pingable!) Smile

Thank you!
Sponsor
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 23:35; edited 1 time in total
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes the .chk file is for the first time your router takes the plunge to DD-WRT. Try TFTP'ing a .bin (has to be K.26!) file that will work and fit on your router. Timing is also key with TFTP, it can take several goes to find that golden window where the firmware will be accepted and the router takes it.

TTL 100 is the bootloader responding, so you should be OK, JTAG "shouldn't" be needed. If you haven't already, read note 6 of the peacock thread if you have questions:

http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

Note 11 can also be useful regarding TFTP and getting the timing right.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
Plantronik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both for the replies.

I was initially trying the k2.6 .bin file, with the same result. I wanted to try with the .chk file because the router "bricked" when using the initial .bin file through the normal upgrade process.

I followed step 11 already as well, still to no avail.
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed a couple of WNR2000's without a problem. check and verify that the build you're trying to flash will fit the NVRAM. You may also try recovering with the stock firmware. I don't know, maybe the bootloader is looking for a specific file of a specific size.

*EDIT* what barry said

Last edited by wats6831 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 17:01; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
you guys may or may not consider this useful information...

if you plan to tftp at boot with the first ttl's, you must use what ever file / extension is native to the router. In this case, a chk.

it is the boot loader that is doing the flashing. Once firmware (dd-wrt) is running, flashing through the gui, then you can use a bin as it is the firmware doing the flashing, not the boot loader.

This is the reason I always recommend using the stock firmware to "de-brick" a router.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Max filesize for WNR2000v2

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72269&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried with an official Netgear .chk file, same result (unable to get responses from the server). I'm going to try using Windows XP in a little bit, to see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I can't imagine what I could be doing wrong.

Any other suggestions/additional information is greatly appreciated.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plantronik wrote:

Any other suggestions/additional information is greatly appreciated.

if you are going to use an xp rig, use the tftp2 utility found on the forum, not the command line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can do it with Win 7, I have but it's a huge pain in the ass. I just unbricked a Netgear 3500 on Win7 but it takes so long to resolve the connection this can sometimes cause issues with the FTP window. I've had the best luck as Barry said with the TFTP2 application. You can just set your command line to continuously ping the router then when you see the reply, pull the trigger on your TFP2 (get it all setup first).
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 23:35; edited 1 time in total
Plantronik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all once again for the information and replies. I tried it again on Windows XP, can't even remember how many times, but it's still doing the same thing. It's not the hugest deal in the world, but is there anything else from this point on aside from JTAG?

Also, is there USB compatable JTAG equipment? If so, what does that sort of stuff usually run? Considering I do flash/upgrade my routers often, this may just need to be something I have to have.

Thank you all!
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plantronik wrote:
Thank you all once again for the information and replies. I tried it again on Windows XP, can't even remember how many times, but it's still doing the same thing. It's not the hugest deal in the world, but is there anything else from this point on aside from JTAG?

Also, is there USB compatable JTAG equipment? If so, what does that sort of stuff usually run? Considering I do flash/upgrade my routers often, this may just need to be something I have to have.

Thank you all!

serial will fix that router. I have repaired a few. You need a usb to ttl adapter (3.3v) or an rs232 to ttl (still 3.3v) if your pc is so equipped.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can also get a Nokia CA-42 cable and strip the phone end. I have a pin out diagram to help you figure out what is TX, RX and GND as the colors will vary a ton. Maybe someone can help him get a picture of the serial pads on the board? Or are they holes?

If the router is replying to ping you shouldn't ever have to serial IMO. the 3500 i just did wasn't even responding to ping but it took the FTP.

Are you sure you've done everything in the peacock thread to the letter?
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think he may be on to something. The newest build 18946_mini_WNR2000v2.chk just bricked my WNR2000 v2. I've sucessfully flashed this model several times with 14536. May want to check this out.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: