Navigating the Sea of Instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Jinseta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:58    Post subject: Navigating the Sea of Instructions Reply with quote
Before I start, I would just like to let all know I am perfectly aware this question probably floats in n00b territory. I apologize in advance and ask for some charity.

My goal: to flash my brand new 20$ router and make a wireless receiver for my 360 thereby saving the 80 I would have been ripped off for buying mssux. A friend of mine who has a epic setup of two 50' screens despises the fact we must dualscreen because I'm not rich enough to get a wireless adapter.

I saw someone configuring a wireless receiver and it looked simple. I can hear your laughter now, some of you on the having a 360 bit.

Now to the nitty gritty.

Netgear WNR2000 v3

My issue: I have been confused by the wiki and peacock thread. Some of the instructions will take me to the Broadcom peacock thread when the wiki indicates that my router is Atheros. The dd-wrt database is recommending what this forum refers as a bad build.

I have the installation wiki for this router, and I know about the 30-30-30 before and after reset. Beyond that, I'm not sure what build to use or if there's anything else I should know. And the best part is its currently midnight for me. If I can get this router set up in the next twelve hours, we can say goodbye to dualscreening.

It may be true that I'm just not ready to 3rd party. I'm a fresh network tech and am big on Cisco, but I despise being inside the box. Time is my biggest reason for this thread, but I won't stop until I've mastered this router config business. Any help would be appreciated. I might even be able to find a cookie for your troubles.

Update: Yeah, just saw the other thread. Never imagined it might be there. Guess I shoulda looked, huh? NM I guess.
Sponsor
JMMazza53
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks to me like you are out of luck. dd-wrt only works on v2 (broadcom), and not v1 (Atheros). There is no listing for v3, so if you say your v3 is Atheros, I would say leave it alone!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
JMMazza53 wrote:
It looks to me like you are out of luck. dd-wrt only works on v2 (broadcom), and not v1 (Atheros). There is no listing for v3, so if you say your v3 is Atheros, I would say leave it alone!

WNR2000 v3 is supported, its not added to the info because support for it came as of recent... but it is in the supported devices wiki for a test build link, but as of 18777 i am fairly sure its fully supported.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Jinseta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, I got ahead of this. dd-wrt was installed successfully. Since I got this thread up anyways, I might as well ask about my new issue.

I can't seem to make any changes to the router. I was able to change the username and password, but any attempt at changing so much as the router name and I get a 'connection reset' error from firefox.

I can go back to the router no problem, be neither save changes or apply settings is working. Am I missing something?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
After you did the flash, did you do a 'reset to defaults' before configuring?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Jinseta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is that a button? I'll go look (I have to disable wireless on my laptop and power on the router). I did a hard reset according to the instructions after finishing installation.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, its not a button, its in the webgui. Under Administration > Factory Defaults

JMMazza53
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry everyone about my incorrect post! My apologies!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another helpful thing to do is clear your cache/cookies out of firefox. Remnants of old cache'd settings can sometimes stick around and make it not work properly with dd-wrt.

Jinseta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found it, still got a 'connection to the server was reset' I believe it was. I'll try clearing the cache.

(Sorry for the short update-posts. I ran out of cables to run dd-wrt router to the modem Embarassed
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its ok about the short posts..

Another thing i was curious on, are you setting a static IP on the machine you are doing the config with? Try the firefox cache/cookie clearing, then set a static IP on the machine, then try doing the config.

Jinseta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Success. Firefox proves incompatible. Will not apply settings even after clearing cache. I was able to apply settings with Internet Exploiter. Guess that'll have to do.

My machine's running Win7 - I set it to obtain automatically by the way.

I believe with this, I can started on configuring a wireless repeater.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use firefox with no problems to do all my configs, I believe one last problem you maybe having here is some kinda add-on blocking that you may have turned on in firefox, other than this i am out of ideas, but at any rate i'm glad IE is working for you...

Jinseta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crap! NoScript! Either that or adblock. I always forget that dumb thing. So many load errors, I really am tempted to set it to globally allowed.

Update: Yep, that was it. Firefox is now applying settings. Strange thing is I already had noscript set to globally allow. I had to disable and restart firefox before settings were applied. Might want to make a note of that...
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might want to make a note of that for sure Wink

dd-wrt isn't responsible for what the user leaves on or off on their computer, also, you do not have to turn it off globally, you can make custom rules for your add-ons to allow your router IP for configs. Atleast that's how i do it..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: