WRT54G v.5 (WRT54G5) firmware update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Insignificance
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52    Post subject: WRT54G v.5 (WRT54G5) firmware update Reply with quote
I've got a LinksysWRT54G v.5 currently with v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro (build 13064) and have been losing connection when downloading large files. I would like to upgrade however am unsure exactly which update file to use. I read the peacock post and see that BrainSlayer is probably the best choice however do I use the generic firmware or the WRT54G? I know there are so many versions of WRT54G that I want to be sure I'm using the right file.

generic firmware:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin

WRT54G firmware
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin
Sponsor
Insignificance
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried installing both of the above firmware files. First dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin and promptly received the error message "update failed". I then flashed with dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin with success I am now running BrainSlayer Build 14929.

However, the connection remains fairly unstable with the wifi often timing out. What is now new since getting off of build 10364 is that the wired connection now seems unstable and often times out or fails completely requiring a router power cycle.

I am running WPA2-AES and have some ports forwarded but have otherwise done nothing fancy. Thoughts?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insignificance wrote:
I tried installing both of the above firmware files. First dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin and promptly received the error message "update failed". I then flashed with dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin with success I am now running BrainSlayer Build 14929.

However, the connection remains fairly unstable with the wifi often timing out. What is now new since getting off of build 10364 is that the wired connection now seems unstable and often times out or fails completely requiring a router power cycle.

I am running WPA2-AES and have some ports forwarded but have otherwise done nothing fancy. Thoughts?

1st.. you either do not have a V5, or you are mixing up "mini" with "micro".

A V5 will only run micro builds.

try this..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD_micro.bin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are right, I meant micro where I said mini. Micro is what I have installed currently.

Why NEWD over BrainSlayer?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insignificance wrote:
You are right, I meant micro where I said mini. Micro is what I have installed currently.

Why NEWD over BrainSlayer?

BS uses newd-2 radio drivers. Last weekend, I flashed eko's 18946 k24_std_nokiad to my TM.. I flashed both newd and newd-2 and tested both.

It has been a while since I actually "tested" anything.

These days, if you flash a build and your router is not bricked by the flash, it is considered a good build no matter how it preforms.

With newd vs newd-2, receive signal reported on the router was much better. Inactive clients would not drop.

that means that inactive wireless clients would no longer appear in the status page. If I were to access them, they would "wake up" and then appear. With the newd radio drivers, the clients never disappear.

Flash it.. don't flash it.. It is up to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
for a similar router to that(a v6), i use the VINT micro builds since they have a little more memory available. but w/e.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: