[HELP] WZR-HP-G300NH v1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
amarcano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 0:52    Post subject: [HELP] WZR-HP-G300NH v1 Reply with quote
Hello,

I had been using dd-wrt for a while now (thanks to all the people that contributes with this project), in the past I had successfully installed and tried several post r16214 versions and always found a reason to go back to it.

This morning I tried to upgrade my router running 02-17-11-r16214 to version 03-19-12-r18777 to see what was new and maybe have a better use of my router. SO I proceed to a "pre-installation 30-30-30" and I upgraded it via the web interface to r18777

Everything finished well, message was your router was successfully upgraded as in many other occasions but after the reboot I was never able to connect again to the router.

The router has solid ON Power and Wireless LEDs, no other LED blinks or is ON, only when I take the power cord out I get the RED Diag LED ON for about 15 seconds but after it turns off I go back to solid ON Power and Wireless.

I tried 30-30-30 http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30, and the guidelines here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87579

I searched and could not find a situation like this one, the router does not cycle it just stays with those two LEDs ON.

I appreciate any help.
Sponsor
thomasmaerz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same router and RMA'd it due to WAN speed issues. Although this doesn't have anything to do with your current situation, I think the v1 is a flawed model or something because they RMA'd it without question and sent me a v2 model.

These units should all be under warranty still because they carry a 3 year and they haven't been out that long. I don't know how ethical it is to RMA a bricked router though :/
HollowKnight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amarcano, I got the same issue as yours today. I had WZR-HP-G300NH running years on various dd-wrt releases and openwrt, flashing it back and forth using tftp.

Mine was on r16754 and left unused several moths. I flashed to r18777 and can't connect to it after flashing. I tried tftp with various factory firmwares 174, 176, 179 with no luck. Only Power LED lids steady and Diag LED slowly blinks after power on. TFTP still works.

Please share if you manage recover it. Thank you.
amarcano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@thomasmaerz, actually a RMA has crossed my mind, mine is still under warranty, I bought it in Feb 2011 so it has 2 yr warranty (after Dec 2011 they have 3 yr warranty). You might be right about the WAN port, I had several issues that forced me to put a switch between the router and the cable modem because the link between them dropped often, after the switch it work great until yesterday. I agree with you about the ethics of a RMA for it so I will keep giving it a try.

@HollowKnight Yesterday prior to flashing r18777 I flashed r17967 to pair the release with the one running on a WHR-HP-G54 I have and did not have any problem, then I decided to install the latest and had the issue so I am not sure if r18777 related or simply back luck.

Mine only blinks diag LED after removing the power, not even pressing the reset button makes the power and wireless LEDs to turn off or the diag LED blink.

@FORUM. I am running out of ideas on what to do, any help? Thanks
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best you could do is use TFTP to recover with, explained in the wiki for this router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Debricking_Info

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
amarcano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ buddee : Thanks for taking the time to answer.

As you can see in my original post that is what I had been trying to do, the link I posted is the one in the section "Debricking Info"

The issue is that the router is not issuing any TFTP request at boot time, not even right after powering it again.

buddee wrote:
Best you could do is use TFTP to recover with, explained in the wiki for this router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Debricking_Info
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here, lemme give you some better instructions, this is for the AG300H, but will work for the G300NH as well, you'll only need to substitute 2 things, you'll have to use a build for the G300NH, and you have to use this static arp MAC addy for the entry... Both of which i will include.

Use this for the build..

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/02-17-11-r16214/buffalo_wzr-hp-g300nh/buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin

Use this for the MAC address

02-AA-BB-CC-DD-1A

And follow these instructions, with the changes i mentioned.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H#De-bricking_and_TFTP_Info

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
amarcano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
@buddee: Thanks for the clarification, will give it a try tomorrow morning.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
No problem, later tonight i am also going to update the G300NH wiki to reflect the guide correctly for that unit.

Edit: Info updated and added to the wiki for the G300NH..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Debricking_Info_using_TFTP

HollowKnight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've successfully TFTPed back to factory firmware 1.74, following instructions at http://g300nh.blogspot.com/2010/06/firmware-flash-and-brick-recovery.html.

I used Linux for TFTP because Windows 7 autosense network does not allow to modify network settings before the connection activated. You may have to use a switch or router.

It takes about 10 mins with RED Diag LED blinks after 1st reboot to rewrite.

Right after factory firmware reflash, I've managed to upgrade to latest dd-wrt r18777 buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin

In my first attempts, the config stored in NVRAM unknowingly corrupted.
amarcano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Definitely there is something wrong with my router, I followed all the suggestions in your update without luck

Again I did an ethernet trace looking for any data coming coming from the router without any success, the router is not sending anything.

To be 100% I brought the router to the office and used a network sniffer and got nothing, the router is dead.

Thanks everybody who answered, specially buddee, I am pretty sure your wiki update will help a lot of people.
thomasmaerz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL! I just started getting wifi drops on the one I got back from RMA a few days ago... Bricked it while f/w upgrading again.

I can't decide whether to throw it in the trash or keep sending them back till they give me something that works... $40 in shipping later Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: