Strange E3000 behavior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:36    Post subject: Strange E3000 behavior Reply with quote
This router booted normally but when I tried to flash it with DD-WRT it closed the connection at about 60%. Rebooting from that resulted in a flashing power light. Hard reset would get it to boot and it will accept firmware via TFTP, and I can access management page but after a while the power light starts blinking (WLAN stays on, switch ports still active but no connection). Never had one just spondaenously start blinking. Trying to avoid serial. FYI this is a refurb ><
Sponsor
andriykoua
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
what build version are you running? I was able to install latest one on mine, and it seems to be working perfectly on my E3000 (dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_nas-nv60k)
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, a working E3000 cannot become permanently bricked, unless you mess with the CFE. After you upload the firmware by tftp2.exe, you have to wait till it reboots by itself, only then you may go on to tweaking settings. Also, it is good to erase NVRAM before uploading the firmware by tftp, do this by doing a 30/30/30. This way, when the firmware becomes active, you will get the default settings.

You did not state what TTL it gives. If it is 100, then only the bootloader works. If it is 64, the software works too.

I have unbricked a TTL=100 E3000 by sending Kong 18730M vpn via tftp.

If you cannot unbrick as above, then I think that the router is not working anymore (e.g. damaged due to overclocking) or the power supply is misbehaving (you could check this by using a power supply with exactly the same voltage and an amperage equal or greater than that of the original power supply).

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
Well, a working E3000 cannot become permanently bricked, unless you mess with the CFE. After you upload the firmware by tftp2.exe, you have to wait till it reboots by itself, only then you may go on to tweaking settings. Also, it is good to erase NVRAM before uploading the firmware by tftp, do this by doing a 30/30/30. This way, when the firmware becomes active, you will get the default settings.

You did not state what TTL it gives. If it is 100, then only the bootloader works. If it is 64, the software works too.

I have unbricked a TTL=100 E3000 by sending Kong 18730M vpn via tftp.

If you cannot unbrick as above, then I think that the router is not working anymore (e.g. damaged due to overclocking) or the power supply is misbehaving (you could check this by using a power supply with exactly the same voltage and an amperage equal or greater than that of the original power supply).

I've worked on about a dozen of these routers. They CAN be bricked without messing with the CFE.

I've tried 3 different power supplies. I always do a 30/30/30 before and after flashing.

I TFTP's the stock firmware to it again last night by inducing recovery mode (hold reset for 2-2.5 secs). It flashed fine and took about 5 mins to reboot with the new firmware. WLAN came up, i logged into the interface and the router immediately crashed with solid WLAN and blinking power light. 30/30/30 results in no boot and no TTL.

A hard reset will get it to boot and give TTL=64 but it only lasts a couple of mins before crashing again. Any subsequent reboots result in bricked behavior.

I've tried about a dozen times to reflash the stock firmware. It takes it every time but then after booting and 30/30/30 it always crashes then bricks.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
sounds like a bad spot on the flash chip.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

That sounds craptastic. I probably won't bother with serial then.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
wats6831 wrote:
barryware wrote:

That sounds craptastic. I probably won't bother with serial then.

I won't hurt to see what serial tells you. It may tell you nothing.

convert it to a 610v2.. with 1/2 the nvram, maybe the bad spot (if that is what the problem is), will never get accessed.

Navigation

Jump to: