Why can't I search the router database for feature?

abssorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36    Post subject: Why can't I search the router database for feature? Reply with quote
I understand that the whole 'which router should I buy' scenario is annoying. As a noob I find the process of choosing which router to be slow and painful.

I've read the entire 14 page thread and I'm no better off. There's lots of good advice, which then says 'look through the thread for recommendations with feature x'.

E.g. for 100Mbs fibre you need a fast processor. OK. So what's fast? do some research. OK, I need a min spec. Find a model number via google - type it in for compatibility. Find another number, etc, etc

If I could just search the database on feature rather than brand name it would be a whole lot easier. At the very least I can find a router with enough ram. Perhaps it's possible and I haven't discovered how? Smile
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
An E3000 is rather cheap and it can handle fast internet, even with DD-WRT firmware. Also, if price does not matter, choose an ASUS RT-N16, it has a bigger flash memory and a bigger RAM. You can run it with KingKong firmware, it has lots of nice software preinstalled and you may also attach an external USB disk for Optware and storage for miniDLNA.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
For a 100 fiber connection though, no consumer routers are going to router that properly (you'll most likely loose some bandwidth if you use even the highest end consumer unit), you may need to look into something of more professional hardware to properly route that speed, something like an Alix board or x86 architecture.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe atheros 680mhz and better will do when there is not much qos, iptables, wifi load
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: