Load Balancing using Wi-Fi and VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
bohemus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 20:14    Post subject: Load Balancing using Wi-Fi and VLAN Reply with quote
I have a situation where the WLAN of my RT-N10+ is set to client mode and receives access to the internet from the remote wireless router is is paired with. I also have a cable modem that I would like to use for load balancing purposes. What would be the correct way to set up a network where the WLAN in client mode is utilited as a WAN and then the VLAN also becomes a WAN using the cable modem connection. Id still like the router to handle the NAT and DHCP addressing for the devices on my network. Thanks for any guidance.
Sponsor
vasek00
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:39    Post subject: Re: Load Balancing using Wi-Fi and VLAN Reply with quote
The release isn't higher than r17201, it is possible to receive balancing:
- the Internet on Wi-fi, 192.168.1.1
- ADSL the Internet on LAN port, 192.168.1.100. The ADSL modem in a mode of a royter.
we try:
Code:

route del default
ip ro flush cache
ip ro add default scope global nexthop via  192.168.1.1 dev br0 weight 5 \
 nexthop via 192.168.1.100 dev br0 weight 5
ip ro

format of a command
Code:

ip ro add default scope global nexthop via [gw_1] dev [inerface_1] weight 5 \
 nexthop via [gw_2] dev [interface_2] weight 5

relation or weight factor 5:5

at me on r17201 works normally inet1 at WAN and inet2 on LAN.
The problem will be watched only on servers for example http://depositfiles.com/ after some time there will be a rupture of connection as there will be a route change, at remaining connections with web as servers and torrent will perfectly work.

If that it is possible to select that from LAN port and to create vlan3 and on it to get ADSL and to add rules for iptables on vlan3 then:
Code:

ip ro add default scope global nexthop via  192.168.1.1 dev br0 weight 5 \
 nexthop via 192.168.2.1 dev vlan3 weight 5
ip ro

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=681596#681596
bohemus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry that reply was a bit hard to follow. Here's my current setup: RT-N10+ with the WLAN in client mode connected to another router. I am using this WLAN interface as the WAN and have the WAN port of the router assigned as a switch. The WLAN has been assigned an IP of 192.168.1.10 through DHCP. The RT-N10+ assigns DHCP addresses on my internal network in the 192.168.2.x range. I prefer to keep this network separate from the router I am connected to through the WLAN in client mode. This is how my network currently receives internet access.

Now, I also have a cable modem that I would like to connect to this router as well in a dual-WAN setup to allow for load balancing and help with throughput. I am new to this, so step by step instruction would be helpful. I am not sure how to add an additional WAN connection and still have the RT-N10+ assign IP addresses in the 192.168.2.x range to my network while still handling NAT for both WAN interfaces.
vasek00
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
bohemus wrote:
Sorry that reply was a bit hard to follow. Here's my current setup: RT-N10+ with the WLAN in client mode connected to another router. I am using this WLAN interface as the WAN and have the WAN port of the router assigned as a switch. The WLAN has been assigned an IP of 192.168.1.10 through DHCP. The RT-N10+ assigns DHCP addresses on my internal network in the 192.168.2.x range. I prefer to keep this network separate from the router I am connected to through the WLAN in client mode. This is how my network currently receives internet access.

Now, I also have a cable modem that I would like to connect to this router as well in a dual-WAN setup to allow for load balancing and help with throughput. I am new to this, so step by step instruction would be helpful. I am not sure how to add an additional WAN connection and still have the RT-N10+ assign IP addresses in the 192.168.2.x range to my network while still handling NAT for both WAN interfaces.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iproute2

To decide on network interfaces through telned having made the ifconfig team, and to deal with received ip on interfaces.
After that a format of a command:

ip ro add default scope global nexthop via [gw_1] dev [inerface_1] weight 5\
nexthop via [gw_2] dev [interface_2] weight 5

[gw_1] - IP address of the gateway of the Internet service provider 1
[inerface_1] - access to [gw_1] via this interface
(ifconfig - on any PPPoE, VPN - ppp0)
[gw_2] - IP IP address of the gateway of the Internet service provider 2
[inerface_2] - the modem in a mode of a router is connected on any LAN port - br0

the result is checked by the ip ro command

More attentively with the DNS server it is better for binding rigidly a route on any provider, having registered in settings network on the client.
bohemus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to be rude, or come across as ignorant - but is there anyone who is perhaps a native speaker of english who can walk me through setting this up on my router in a step by step manner? For example, will this tutorial work on the RT-N10+? I think it was written for the WRT54G originally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: