Recommendations for OpenVPN Hardware?

pamulli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 15:19    Post subject: Recommendations for OpenVPN Hardware? Reply with quote
I need to purchase a router in order to setup OpenVPN and wanted to see if there are any particular (newer) models that stand out for this task? I'd like a descent CPU to not limit bandwidth and N connectivity for Wireless. I don't plan on it doing anything other than wireless AP and being an OpenVPN server for a couple of remote windows clients. I'm very new to OpenVPN and DD-Wrt so I'm trying to find something that is a reasonably easy setup with few to no known bugs. I have setup OpenVPN on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, but am concerned about it's slower CPU and it doesn't have N connectivity. I've also done some research, but everytime I find a model that looks good I find lots of posts in the forums complaining about OpenVPN on whatever DD-WRT build they are using. I was particularly interested in the Netgear WNDR3800 because of specs, but can't really find any posts mentioning how well OpenVPN works on it.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this. I did ask in the General Section, but so far I have not gotten any responses so I thought I'd try this forum.

Thanks,
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
the faster the better
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WNDR3800 should perform very well as an OVPN Router. Config of OVPN can sometimes be a bitch! Depends on the setup you like to run...
pamulli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appreciate the comments. I guess my concern was that certain routers seem to perform best with specific versions and I constantly see posts about OpenVPN issues. So generally is it safe to assume that if a router is listed as supported and there is a VPN build that OpenVPN would work on that router?

Thanks
zombie woof
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also interested in this subject. Could somebody recommend the most suitable router for running DD-WRT and Open VPN? I.e. One that is stable with DD-WRT and fast enough to do a reasonable job on the encryption.

I was hoping the WNDR4500 would be OK, but it looks like progress on the firmware for this is slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: