WDS/Network Issues/Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
xfaith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 21:40    Post subject: WDS/Network Issues/Questions Reply with quote
Current Setup
Router(DHCP/DNS Server) - Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite 192.168.1.1 Ubquiti Firmware
Switch - TPLink Manged Switch 192.168.1.2
Wireless AP(1) (Firewall Off/DHCP Off) - TP Link C2600 192.168.1.3 TPLINK Firmware (Not sure if C2600 has DDWRT)
Wireless AP(2) (Firewall Off/DHCP Off) - DLink D862L 192.168.1.4 - DDWRT V31899 (STP enabled)
Wireless AP(3) (Firewall Off/DHCP Off) - TPLink Archer C7 192.168.1.6 (currently not online) DDWRT V31899 (STP enabled)

-Archer C7/Dlink 862 same chipset.

-Townhouse about 1400sqft, renting so cant make holes, and dont want cable all over the place. AP's are wireless bridged (WDS) .3 is directly connected to the switch.

.1 can ping .2/.3/.4/.6
.3 can ping .1/.2/.4/.6 (most of the time)
.4 can ping .1/.2/.3
.6 can ping .1/.2/.3

-From wired computer can ping everything except the WDS wireless AP's.

- Plex on the .6 which I can play "for the most part" from a Roku which is connected at the .4, and from my main PC (wired), but that main PC cant access the management of either .4/.6, nor ping (which could be a ICMP) error somewhere along the way. But smartphone can access .4 management anywhere.

I would have though that .4 - .6 should be able to see each other, thought it might have been a VLAN issue but every thing i was reading about WDS did not say about extra steps involved with VLAN.

For both the DDWRT's: 2.4Ghz set as WDS Station, with A VAP (same SSID) on all the 2.4s.

5Ghz is a sep on each router so I have it called 5G, 5G1, 5G2 (I know original), dont think they can all have the same SSID.
--------------------------------------------------------
-Question 1: What are some reasons I cant ping from wired to the WDS AP's. From the Router&C2600 I can ping .4/.6.

-Question 3: Does 3 APs work well with WDS? Any suggestions on setup.

If you need more information on setup, let me know also. I setup the AP's according to the DDWRT instruction for Atheros Chipset for WDS.
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 23:36    Post subject: Re: WDS/Network Issues/Questions Reply with quote
xfaith wrote:
For both the DDWRT's: 2.4Ghz set as WDS Station, with A VAP (same SSID) on all the 2.4s.

What is the WDS-AP?????
example:
xfaith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the TPLINK setup as WDS AP but that was causing more issues. (C2600) which also does not have a DDWRT avail if not mistaken.

I had it haphazardly working earlier now its gone down hill trying to get it back to somewhat working.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
xfaith wrote:
I had the TPLINK setup as WDS AP but that was causing more issues. (C2600) which also does not have a DDWRT avail if not mistaken.

I had it haphazardly working earlier now its gone down hill trying to get it back to somewhat working.

Probably gonna have to get ddwrt and a matching chipset to do any good with WDS.
The main probkem with WDS is there was never a standard for it ..... different venders & 3rd party developers coded it to work however suited them ....hence you need matching chipsets for ddwrt.... or with stock matching venders plus close related models before it works.

you could wire one of your ddwrt boxes to main then wds-ap it off it to the other as wds-station till you get everything else you need Cool
xfaith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue is the cable running, renting, there are cable lines in the walls (some), and not well placed.

Maybe powerline for the distance?
xfaith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
More playing around.

So now .1/.2/.3 still see each other (basically all wired).

.4/.6 dont see each other.

.166(plex) - off of .6 can see .1/.2/.3/.9(PC)

.9 can see .1/.2/.3./.166

Looking at wireshark, I can see it doing ARP requests. Added static routes in the C2600 to the mac's/ip of .4/.6 no help. Added static routes in the .1 also for .4/.6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: