Better Firewall? WRT-54gl w/ DD-wrt or a Netgear FVS318

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
proxybox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 22:27    Post subject: Better Firewall? WRT-54gl w/ DD-wrt or a Netgear FVS318 Reply with quote
We are working with a POS (point of sale) company on implementing a new router for our store. They are requiring that for PCI/DSS compliance (credit card processing protection) that we need to have a hardware firewall which is obvious. The solution they suggest is a $900 SonicWall. I don't want to spend that kind of $ and would prefer the WRT-54GL with DD-WRT loaded. They also recommended a cheaper option of using the Netgear FVS318 but I feel that does the same job. What do you guys think? Does the FVS318 really do that much better of a job?

What is a business grade router and how is it 'better' than the rest?

Thanks
Sponsor
hotpants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using a FVS318v3 as a gateway router/firewall in a small office setting and it has been nothing but unreliable, requiring frequent reboots. I plan to replace it when possible with a unit running DD-WRT. The firewall options are nothing special, either.

Cost is an issue in my case, too (working for an NPO), but even if it were not, I probably would always allocate my budget on things other than an expensive hardware firewall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: