Router Bridge to Access Point - WiFi Connection Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jackerbes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 14:28    Post subject: Router Bridge to Access Point - WiFi Connection Question Reply with quote
Linksys WRT300N V1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929 - configured as Router Bridge

Linksys WRT610N V1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 - configured as Access Point

Linksys WRT54G V2 - DD-WRT v23 SP2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929 - Configured as router, DHCP server, and WAN interface, WiFi off

Hello,

I have WRT300N V1 set up as Repeater Bridge (RB) and working with a WRT610N that is in the Access Point (AP)mode.

The WRT610N AP is connected by Ethernet to a WRT54G router (WiFi off) that is the DHCP server and connected to my cable modem for internet access.

The RB and AP both have the same SSID and are on the same channel. All of this is working fine but I have a question.

When I look at the WIFI network from a laptop with network stumbler, I only see one SSID and it has the WRT610N AP MAC address. That is the only point that is available to me for a connection.

I am trying to tell if I am connecting only to one of the two, either the AP or the Repeater Bridge, when I connect. Is there a way to tell that?

Or is it a case where both or either can be used and the AP gets credit for all connections? Are the RB, AP, and laptop are all three communicating with each other continuously whenever in range? So that I am essentially using them both from the laptop?

Any help or a link to WiFi 101 or something like that would be good for me, thanks in advance.

Jack

Last edited by jackerbes on Mon May 14, 2012 16:15; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your repeater bridge should have a different ssid than your primary router. Otherwise, you run into problems.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jackerbes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Your repeater bridge should have a different ssid than your primary router. Otherwise, you run into problems.

I tried it that way when I was setting it up last year and could not get it going until I made them both the same SSID. As I read from the three of four links that I used for setting that up, the repeater page, the RB router page, the linksys linking routers page, etc., it could be one way or the other. And I went with the one that worked.

But I'm going to try it again with different SSIDs based on your comment. And thanks for that.

Might it be that mine is slightly different because the primary router (the WRT54G DHCP server and WAN port) is there too? The WRT610N AP and the WRT 300N RB and both use the same SSID now.

My firmwares are:

Linksys WRT300N V1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929 - configured as Router Bridge

Linksys WRT610N V1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 - configured as Access Point

Linksys WRT54G V2 - DD-WRT v23 SP2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929 - Configured as router, DHCP server, WiFi off

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: