Media Server on E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tannerle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:01    Post subject: Media Server on E3000 Reply with quote
First, I am very new to dd-wrt and know nothing about linux. The last programming I did was in 1986, and that was COBOL. So I know something, but not a whole lot. I have managed to read everything, do the initial flash, jump up to -nv60(?) and then put the current build on, all without bricking my router.

What I am trying to do is connect, via ethernet, a Seagate GoFlex Home external drive to my E3000 router to stream music and videos. I am using Kong's DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/17/12) stdkong - build 18730M because it has minidlna on it if I understand things correctly.

I have a regular GN-network and guest access on the 2.4 ghz, and am trying to make the 5ghz band a pure N, 40MHz wide channel.

Just about everything I read talks about connect an external drive via usb. I use the usb for my printer, and the external drive has a nice 1GB connection.

My question is, could someone walk me through setting up the router to stream videos from the external drive? I'd really appreciate if someone would help me out here. I have looked all over the internet and can find zilch on how to do this (or at least in a manner I can understand.)

Thank you,

LT
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, in order to use miniDLNA, you have to have the media partition of your hard disk mounted as /mnt on your router. Usually, Kong automounts the partition labeled Mnt to /mnt, but only if the hard disk is attached through USB. If it is a NAS, I would not know how to use miniDLNA with it, perhaps you should enable CIFS and take care that the network share offered by the NAS is mounted as /mnt on the router.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: