WRT54GL, SSH, and lots of problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
amrogers3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 23:14    Post subject: WRT54GL, SSH, and lots of problems Reply with quote
Ok, I apologize up front, I am not as smart of most you guys here.

I have a WRT54GL and I want to setup SSH tunneling so I can surf securely when I am traveling. Problem is, I have an outdated build 13064 mini generic, which is 3 years old and it doesn't support SSH.

From the stickies, you guys are recommending 14929 builds, which are found here:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/

However, I need a little clarification.
    -Will build dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin 08/12/2010 be able to implement SSH server?
    -Can I upgrade straight from 13064 to dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin?

Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use Micro builds on a GL unit...use the mini or better yet...nokaid_generic....use the 14929 nokaid build directly from the old 13064 mini on the Administration>>Upgrade tab....but make sure you do a 30/30/30 reset first and don't use any old config backups when you're done....configure it from scratch...SSH works great in mini on up builds.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Don't use Micro builds on a GL unit...use the mini or better yet...nokaid_generic....use the 14929 nokaid build directly from the old 13064 mini on the Administration>>Upgrade tab....but make sure you do a 30/30/30 reset first and don't use any old config backups when you're done....configure it from scratch...SSH works great in mini on up builds.

redhawk

Hi Redhawk, thanks for the reply! Your help is much appreciated.

I don't need KAID, but you recommend the 3.6mb dd-wrt.v24_nokaid_generic.bin over the 2.9 mb dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin?

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
amrogers3 wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:

redhawk

Hi Redhawk, thanks for the reply! Your help is much appreciated.

I don't need KAID, but you recommend the 3.6mb dd-wrt.v24_nokaid_generic.bin over the 2.9 mb dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin?

Yeah..use nokaid...if you load the std_generic it contains KAID...so why bother with the extras...nokaid is the same thing with KAID removed....I've been running nokaid builds for years...and your GL will work great on the nokaid build.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: