RT-N53 WAN port bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Z-Gradt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:45    Post subject: RT-N53 WAN port bug Reply with quote
Basically, it seems like the WAN port is acting like a regular LAN port.

Here's the story. I have a Fios router on 192.168.1. Its LAN port is connected to the WAN port on my Buffalo WHR. The WHR serves 192.168.10 on the LAN ports. It works great. I like it because I have some misbehaving devices that abuse broadcast packets parked on the 192.168.1 subnet.

It also runs a VPN server, but the WHR can only handle about 7 Mb/s encrypted, so I wanted to upgrade it to a faster router. I basically copied the configuration over to my new Asus RT-N53 running dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega and plugged it in place of the WHR. I've played around with it, and I've never gotten the WAN to display anything other than 0.0.0.0.

But after I disabled its DHCP server, I can plug a computer into the LAN and it will pick up an address from the Fios DHCP. The Fios doesn't even register the N53 though. As far as its concerned, it doesn't exist!

I really don't get it. It's totally bizarre. For now, I've gone back to the WHR and I'm procuring a router with better DDR-WRT support, but I'm really curious as to what's going on.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The RT-N53 is a piece of crap router that Asus never should have brought into their portfolio and the dd-wrt port for it is not complete.

Check if your WAN/LAN problem is a problem of ethernet port assignment, it may be that the ports are numbered backwards and your LAN4 port or LAN1 port may be the WAN port.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy hell. That was it. Folks, plug your WAN cable into the first LAN port on your RT-N53's.

The router does seem pretty crappy. The transmit power setting is secretly in decibels instead of mW, and there are no link lights on the ethernet ports. They just look like lego plastic. Definitely not recommended.

And 100 mbit/s LAN ports? Ew. It's fine for an Xbox bridge or internet gateway, but definitely not what I want for a local switch / AP.

But if it's really running at 500 Mhz, I'm hoping it makes a good VPN server...
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Z-Gradt wrote:

But if it's really running at 500 Mhz, I'm hoping it makes a good VPN server...

It should be ok for that.
Looking at Asus support page/firmware downloads one can see that Asus has already abandoned it.
It will soon become one of those $22 "bargains" at bestdeals or similar outlets for manufacturer dead stock products.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ugh. Only a slight improvement over the old 240 Mhz WHR in OpenVPN performance. The CPU utilization is pegged and it's only doing 8mbits. I think it really is running at 300 Mhz rather than 500 Mhz... What a POS.

Oh well. My cheapass $22 Belkin Share Max should arrive tomorrow Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: