e2500 consistently packet drops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03    Post subject: e2500 consistently packet drops Reply with quote
Hello,

I hope someone can help me in the process to determine why my router is dropping packets every few minutes.

Setup: 15mb down, 2mb up Modem > Router > PC/Xbox/Roku

While playing on the Xbox my "ping bars" go from 3 green to 2 yellow down to 1 red every few minutes (1-3).

The same thing happens in the living room with the Roku connected by WiFi. While watching Hulu every so often the show will freeze and start again.

Here is the top-right router page information:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) mini
(SVN revision 19342)

I believe I read that N routers do not take the "mini" so well?

All was working well until a week ago...
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
mini works fine on N routers, its micro that won't work on N routers - no wireless N driver in micro, and in your case, you won't have to really ever worry about that, you unit uses k2.6 nv60k builds, which do not have a micro flavor.

i would suggest doing a site survey and seeing whats being used around you, it may be possible that someone is recently using a wireless close to yours and overlapping/blocking your channel.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Site survey results:

ssid 1 Channel 6 Rssi -84 Noise -87
ssid 2 Channel 11 Rssi -82 Noise -92
ssid 3 Channel 3 Rssi -72 Noise -90
ssid 4 Channel 4 Rssi -79 Noise -87

From the N configuration link, I choose channel 1. So we'll see.

Additional troubleshooting:

I've conducted a power cycle, hard reset, this will fix the router temporarily (less than 1hr back to symptoms).

Is it possible to submit a log file, for others to see? I'm not well rounded in this sector...

Any other information that you can give?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The person using channel 3 is going to overlap your channel 1 selection. And from looks of it, there is no real good channel selection for you to use, you may try 11 as the other channel 11 AP is somewhat away from you, but not by much.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's not good news. When I lived in an apartment I had far less problems than the physical house I do now!

The connection has not improved much from channel jumping either. Channel 11 looks like the winner, but when I refresh the site survey every once in a while I'll see a few more 11's listed.

Could this be the problem - Transmitted (TX)1492461 OK, 623 errors ?

Is Rate: 54 Mbps, usual? Looks a little low.

Am I on the latest build? Could that be a problem?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
The transmitted errors are going to happen, something you can not really stop, mainly caused by all kinds of environmental factors.

Your rate being 54mbps, you tell me, do you have N adapters? If so, then yes, that is a lower link rate. Hopefully you are using WPA2 with AES only. All covered in the forum announcements up top, which is advised to read.

Latest test build can be found in the dd-wrt file server, link in my sig under DD-WRT builds, although i do not think its your problem here.

armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
My connection will work great, but then all of a sudden it will be intermittent at best. I will conduct a site survey and will notice several other personnel with same channel as I do. I change to at least +2/-2 and it works for a little while (30 mins) and then the same thing occurs. It's like the other connections are stalking me!

This is becoming very redundant and is putting a burden on us all. Please help!
armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Help, please? Not sure what else to do here...
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Post a site survey pic and i can tell you what may be able to be used around you in 2.4Ghz band.

Also, you didn't answer my question: Are you using WPA2 with AES? And what wireless mode are you using, G-Only, Mixed, N-Only? There is info you aren't providing which would be helpful to know..

armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, will do.

WPA2-Personal with AES and NG-Mixed.

Site survey fluctuates every few seconds, but here are three within thirty seconds.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could use channel 1, if you do use channel 1 in an HT40 setting in dd-wrt, make sure you select lower this way it'll use 1 and 4 - but you'll overlap with dayla. If you use channel 1 with HT20 you'll be fine and not overlap with 'dayla network'. And for the record, the closest person to you is 'GET YOUR OWN NETWORK' Most of the other network are fairly away from you though, RSSI 75 and lower is what you want to worry about.

armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've used Channel 1 with HT20 and 40 prior today, and I have had the same results.

With channel 1 I am at a steady 3 bar yellow status, which still results in lag while online play. I've port forwarded my router and so forth. If I change channel's periodically to be +2/-2 on the site survey I can get about half a game with four bar green status.

I have also adjusted the ACK timing by 100 increments to see if this would help. I don't have enough experience to give a definite answer on this.

For the record, I am speaking of the physical location of the house "dayla" in comparison to "GET YOUR OWN NETWORK"

Anything else?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
how does it fair with using channel 6 or 11? Even others using or overlapping are still somewhat away from you, but the way it is, there is always going to be some kind of interference because the people around you, atleast most of them on there, are all using HT40 and are going to block/overlap you in some sort of fashion.

armyal3x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
It appears to be equally the same across any channel that I select regardless of 20/40 and upper/lower.

I want to punt my router across my living room these days!

This isn't related (I think) but I will include it...

On UpnP the forwards that are shown do not include my Xbox for some reason.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
do you have upnp set to clear un-needed forwards? also no punting the router Smile what you want to do here is punt the neighbor's wifi's around you, i silently did this before by going ahead and running an HT40 and overlapping them and seeing how they like it, in about a week they all mysteriously switched channels, hmmm Wink

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: